Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my parent's kitty, who is about 18 years old, seems to be having problems getting around lately. she seems healthy: eating and pooping and peeing and otherwise still content. but her hindquarters seem to be dropped down and she is noticeably stiff sometimes.

can anyone suggest some herbal supplements or anything we can do to make her more comfortable? i offered to take her to the vet, but they do not want to stress her by taking her in. she does not travel well.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My Kitty has a heated bed that helps her with stiffness. I got it from DrsFosterSmith.com. It is constantly 10 degrees warmer than room temperature, then when Kitty lays on it, it heats up to 110 degrees, toasty warm. She sleeps on it continuously from September to April. Then in the summer occasionally. Love it!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There are several supplements that can help, such as glucosamine and MSM. These can make a big difference, but it takes several weeks to notice. I take them myself--it took about 3-1/2 weeks to see a change, but then it was dramatic. For info and dosages, please see:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... iatriccats

Also, there is a homeopathic remedy called Traumeel that you can get at the health food store; you can give one of those daily, or put a few tablets in a water bottle and add a little of the water to her food daily.

Cheers
Dr. Jean

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts