Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat, Buddha, is 10 years old and is looked after very well. He is usually very affectionate and enjoys attention however over the past week he seems to have become sullen and grumpy. He also reacts badly when i touch him especially around his neck and chin area where he hisses and has even tried to scratch me. He would never normally do this as he usually enjoys being scratched here. I can see when he lies down that hes in discomfort and he seems to have stopped cleaning (licking) himself. Fortunately he still seems to have his appetite, although he seems to find eating uncomfortable, presumbably because of physical pain and not lack of appetitie.

If anyone recognises these symptoms and can offer me a basic diagnosis i would really appreciate it. Where we live it is not easy at all to have him examined by a vet.

thank you very much

sincerely

Paris Searles

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
He needs to see a vet, the sooner the better. It could be anything from an injury to an abscessed tooth to who-knows-what! If he is in that much pain that he shows it (cats are typically very stoic, so this must be *extremely* painful), please get him in asap.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. As i said, getting the cat to see a vet involves flying him on a plane which, believe me, is no easy feat. Im still monitoring him and his appetite is still strong as i said but i would really appreciate more opinions on what it could be and and advice on what measures to take in the short term.

sincerely

Paris Searles

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Asking for opinions over the internet from people who don't know and can't see the cat, based on such scant information, is not likely to get you any useful information.

Have *you* looked in his mouth and throat, checked his teeth, examined him for a bite wound, checked his lymph nodes, looked in his ears, etc? Here's a protocol for a home "exam": http://felidaeworld.com/homeexam.html
You can probably answer your own question by doing a thorough exam on him yourself; at least you'll be able to gather more information that may help *us* help you.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts