Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sentrypetcare...omone_promo.asp
Has anyone used this product? Does it work?
I am attempting to introduce my new kitty to the resident cat. All the vocalization and agressive behavior appears to be coming from the new kitty. I bought one of these collars today to try and calm the new kitten down.
I have gone slow with the introductions. Close to 2 months now. The last two weeks I have gotten serious with the intro. Need to get it done.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How old is the new kitty? How old is your other cat? Is the collar safe for kittens if it is young? Are either of the cats fixed? Even though your older kitty isn't vocalizing doesn't mean he isn't communicating. Cats are fluent in the art of talking with their bodies. For example does your cat sit there, staring straight at your new cat without breaking his gaze or concentration? This is a threat, and the new cat could be vocalizing in response. I highly recommend reading up on some info regarding cat communication. You can almost always see a fight coming long before claws and fur start flying. This would also give you a chance to see when they are reacting appropriately with each other even if it isn't in cuddles. I would suggest rewarding them when they react well in each others presence. Give them a treat if they just ignore each other, or maybe if they sniff cautiously but politely. They will begin to realize that they get something good when they are around each other. Would you be willing to elaborate a little more on the steps you have been taking the last two months?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the new kitty? How old is your other cat? Is the collar safe for kittens if it is young? Are either of the cats fixed? Even though your older kitty isn't vocalizing doesn't mean he isn't communicating. Cats are fluent in the art of talking with their bodies. For example does your cat sit there, staring straight at your new cat without breaking his gaze or concentration? This is a threat, and the new cat could be vocalizing in response. I highly recommend reading up on some info regarding cat communication. You can almost always see a fight coming long before claws and fur start flying. This would also give you a chance to see when they are reacting appropriately with each other even if it isn't in cuddles. I would suggest rewarding them when they react well in each others presence. Give them a treat if they just ignore each other, or maybe if they sniff cautiously but politely. They will begin to realize that they get something good when they are around each other. Would you be willing to elaborate a little more on the steps you have been taking the last two months?
Both of my cats showed up at my doorstep so age is not exact.

New kitty, Onyx, showed up at my door about a week before Christmas. I put in the only saferoom I had an unheated front porch. SHe was at least out of the weather. The Vet put her at between 8 months to year old.

Resident cat, Colonel, showed up about 4 years ago and would be around 5 years old. Colonel is a desexed male and I had Onyx spayed 3 weeks ago.

Now for the history of introductions.

About 3 weeks after Onyx came they had a chance meeting. Colonel chased Onyx and Onyx ran under the bed. Colonel and Onyx were both very vocal. When I went to grab Colonel, he ran under the bed. Onyx came out the other side and ran into the bathroom. I manged to head Colonel off and shut the door to the bathroom. I then entered the bathroom picking Onyx up givving her a lot of attention.

Colonel is an indoor/outdoor cat. When he was outside or upstairs sleeping iwould shut the upstairs door and leave Onyx into the house. She got comfortable roaming the house and even rubbing her cheek all over Colonels favorite chair. So I know that they were well aware of eachothers present.

Sometime mid Jan. I came home from and was told I need to check Onyx out. Colonel was outside when the grandkids came home from school. They opened the front door and Colonel ran into the saferoom. Colonel gave Onyx a good thumping.

I then started to bring Onyx in and put her in a large dog kennel. I had to show her to Colonel on the first trial A little vocalization and gestering form Onyx. Colonel looked for a while and walked away.

The next time I tried, Colonel walked up to the cage and Onyx went nuts hissing and growling. On occasions after that. Colonel would jump on his chair, look at Onyx in the cage and ignore her.

Last week I tried a face to face meeting. Onyx was in the house and close to the saferoom when I left Colonel in. Colonel slowly approach her. When Onyx started hissing and arching up Colonel's ears went back and he croached down and started approaching her. Onyx ran back to the cabinets, rolled over with claws extended. I yelled at both of them (Yes I know you are not suppose to yell at cats, and open the saferoom door.

When the saferoom door is open Colonel will approach it look for Onyx and not go in when he sees her. When the door is open to let Onyx in, she will slowly step in and look all around beforeshe comes all the way in. I believe thay have established that the saferoom is Onyx's territory and the house is Colonel's.

Long story short. I believe I am getting very close and the problem appears to with Onyx. I put the collar on Onyx tonight and we will see if it helps.

From an AU forum that I frequent they suggested Rescue Remedy or Feliway (sp) I will try them next if the collar doesn't work or if there no other suggestions. Need to make it happen

·
Registered
469 Posts
Feliway is a wonderful product and would be a wise investment. Onyx sounds very stressed, and who knows what she went through before she came to you. If her stress doesn't go down after the Feliway then I would talk to a vet. I've met some cats who were temporarily on vet prescribed anti depressants because their anxiety was so high.

Don't feel discouraged with how long it is taking, some kitties literally take months before they bond. Others just don't like each other but learn how to claim their own territories and avoid one another. You are doing right by them in taking this slowly, giving them their own territories, and giving them the patience they need. I want to applaud you for doing research and fervently seeking answers. I have so much respect for pet owners that do this. I've never done an introduction on indoor/outdoor cats. I would imagine that it might be slightly difference since they would run into cats outside that they might not like and have experiences through that that an indoor only cat won't have. Perhaps someone here that has been through that can share their experience in it with you. Please keep us posted and I hope that things improve!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UpDate on Collar

Day One: Put collar on Onyx

Day Two: Onyx comes running out of the saferoom when door is open and she is called. Running all over the house like she owns it. Was on Colonel's chair beside me and wanted loving. No introductions tried.

Day Three: Purchased a collar for Colonel. A little worried having a non-breakaway collar on him since he is indoor/outdoor, but put it on loosely so it would slip over his head. No introduction today. Big day may be tomorrow if the collar has the same effect on Colonel. So far happy with the results with Onyx. She appears to be much calmer and secure with her surroundings. She didn't want picked up. Maybe she didn't feel the need for the added security.
Will report back.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
We tried one but it had no effect. Im not sold on Sentry products. Id stick with Feliway or Composure Liquid to settle a cat down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts