Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have four well-fed and well-watered cats which are serviced by two litter boxes, one Littermaid and one regular. These boxes are cleaned twice per week. During the winter, these boxes do stink, but the odor is confined to the corner of the basement. Now that summer is here and we have the central AC on, the smell gets pushed through the house via the ventillation system. Consequently, we are extremely embarrassed by the odor and are committed to eliminating it. We have tried using Ozium, ammonia, air fresheners and a dehumidifier, all with poor results. So now I'm looking at some sort of ionization or carbon and/or ozone-based air purification system. As this is a fairly expensive purchase ($200-$600), I was wanting to get some feedback from ya'll to help us out.

Also, before we spend considerable $$$ on some type of purification/neutrilization system, is there anything else you can think of that might help?

(My fiancee` tells me I should thank you all in advance)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)
Two litter boxes and four cats mean some heavily used litter boxes. One thing to consider might be to clean them out more often then twice a week. Removing the waste every other day if not daily should go a long way to eliminating a lot of the odor.
Do you use clumping litter in the regular box? I personally find clumping litter to be good for controlling odors. I have one cat and remove the litter clumps on a daily basis and the litter box has virtually no odor.
Good luck! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think there are products you can buy where you can spray stuff into the litter and it gets rid of odors. Maybe you can just buy regular air neutralizers and spray it around once in a while? The stuff that actually gets rid of pet odors and not just mask it.

Cleaning the litter out every other day is probably your best bet. We have clumping litter too and it helps but it still gets stinky if you dont clean it regularly.

good luck!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I use a product by Calgon called Purrfectly Fresh pet odor eliminator, you can get it at Petsmart. Its basicly carbon crystals you sprinkle in with the cat litter and it absorbs the odor. With one cat I have two litter boxes, maybe you should invest in more boxes? Or just clean it more often, I clean my cats box every day and never have an odor issue.

Oh one more thing, if its going through the vent system maybe clip a couple scented dryer sheets to the vents?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I use Arm&Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer. However, with 4 cats and 2 boxes and only cleaning them twice a week, for SURE your house will smell. There is no solution to the odour except cleaning the boxes daily or every other day, and when you clean it sprinkle some deodorizer in the litter each time. Think of it as flushing your cats toilet. How would you like it if your toilet was only flushed twice a week? Also, maybe you could look into getting another (or even better 2 more) box(es). I only have 2 cats, and 2 boxes, but I know that if they are left uncleaned for any amount of time they smell SO BAD.....my boyfriend and I are students and live in an apartment....so you can imagine what it's like with the whole place smelling like that! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have had odor issues with three cats and two boxes. I live in a smaller flat and there is really no place like a basement to "hide" the boxes. Because of the size and locations of the boxes I became very committed to the odor control. I use a mix of mostly scoopable litter with a little regular litter. I scoop both my boxes every day. It keeps the odor almost eliminated. I entirely empty and clean my boxes once every 3 or 4 weeks.

I was thinking about trying all scoopable litter with those crystals mixed in and seeing how that works.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh My Gosh! If I were you I would really invest in the larger boxes.
2 standard size boxes + 4 cats + twice a week cleaning =BAD ODOR!
Yes, the air system will pull the odor throughout the entire house.

Just my 2 cents....Please go buy larger boxes and ad another 2.
You and your cats will be so much happier! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
We have our boxes down our basement in a corner also, before you invest in fancy equipment to clean your air I would suggest investing definitely in two more boxes as well as cleaning everyday!!! Your kittys will thank you for this! :D A full litter box means they are stepping in poo poo and urine everytime they step in there in hopes of finding a new spot, the fecal matter can get in there paws and distributed in your house 8O . I have 5 cats and 4 LARGE, 25"x16"x6", Rubbermaid 31 qt containers that work FANTASTIC for a litter box, and doesn't absorb smell either (WalMart $3.00) and I clean my boxes two times a day. You have to scoop it eventually you might as well keep up with it and your cats will be prrrrrrrrrrrrr their appreciation. I like the clumping litter too! Greetings to your fiance and welcome to the forum! Let us know if you find a solution, ours are only suggestions :D

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Dusted Gorilla...
I hope I havent scared you away! :(
I just talked to a friend, whom also hates the litterbox chore!
She said she only does it like once every 2 weeks! 8O

The more often you clean it the easier it becomes to do...
Not a bad chore afterall that way! :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
First of all, if you have four cats, you should have more litterboxes. One per cat is recommended. And litter should be scooped at LEAST daily in the regular litterbox, definitely not twice a week, especially when you have half the litterboxes you should. This is how people can have multiple cats and still live in an odor free house. Double the stink in each box and then let it sit for days...it's no wonder you're having smell problems. :wink: You may think that this is a hassle, but is it really? When you think about all the money you will spend trying to cover up the odor with fancy air systems and constant spraying, when you could easily just eliminate it for free instead?

Also, lots of people here have switched to the rubbermaid containers for litterboxes. They are big, that way you can get away with less boxes. There is one at walmart for 3 dollars, and the rubbermaid material does not hold odors. And with a bigger box, your cats will be much happier, and it will be easier to clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses so far. I guess were going to have to get more boxes and clean them more frequently. :(

ForJazz: One of the boxes is a self cleaning box so the cats are not forced to walk thorough their own waste. We keep a medium-sized rubbermaid one beside it as a backup in case the Littermaid malfunctions (which it does). :wink:

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
In addition to the suggestions you've received, you might want to have an automatic nil odor dispenser. If you don't want to spend as much as $38, you could use nil odor drops or a product you put directly in the litter. It is a product often used by human patients who've had colostomies. You can probably get their products and a local pet store, the drops at a drug store, and definitely online. It eliminates, rather than cover up odors. Good luck.

(Personally, I want the automatic dispenser, because it can be set to spray periodically, according to your preference.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts