Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! RIP Western Digital external hard drive with all my personal pictures on it! Grrrrrrrrr! I'm so furious with myself! I knocked my top WD external off my desk today, just because I'm in a crabby mood, and nothing was going right. I was being just being careless. Now all I've done is make myself even crabbier! :x I've got all my customer images, and that's the important part, but I wasn't very diligent about copying my personal images to my second external. CRAP!

I think I learned a very big lesson today!

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
I've learned the hard way that things can always get worse!

It would be nice if they stopped for the day for you, though! :patback

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Oh no! I have a WD plugged into my computer at all times, but it sits on the ground to avoid stuff like that from happening. I'm sorry it broke, but you might be able to get the images off it if you take it in to a computer store.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I was thinking that I might just try that, to see if it's possible or not. Can't hurt.

Thanks Marie!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
You'd be amazed at how much the tech guys can recover...I hope you're able to get most of your pictures back.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Have you let out a primal scream yet? I've found that *really* helps. I scream into a pillow if I cannot go outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I learned a long time ago to not ask that question because, yes, they can get decidedly worse...

I'd say there's a good chance a repair shop may be able to extract your data. Take it to a small tech shop, not someplace like Best Buy.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Take the cover off and have a look at the hard drive. The drive itself might be fine, it might just be a loose wire or something.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ugh! RIP Western Digital external hard drive with all my personal pictures on it! Grrrrrrrrr! I'm so furious with myself! I knocked my top WD external off my desk today, just because I'm in a crabby mood, and nothing was going right. I was being just being careless. Now all I've done is make myself even crabbier! :x I've got all my customer images, and that's the important part, but I wasn't very diligent about copying my personal images to my second external. CRAP!

I think I learned a very big lesson today!
I think you should take yourself to the woodshed and give yourself a darn good whipping. :0
Sorry about those pixs.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got it to work, and all my pictures open up!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
OK...so back it up asap. Drives that take a tumble are notorious for failing down the road.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trust me....lesson learned.......already did that Doodlebug!!! :smile: I'm also going to add a 3rd, and start copying my stuff on DVD's too.

I gotta say though, that thing took a TUMBLE, and I can still access it! That is just crazy!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
heh.
The reason I said take it apart is because I did that with an old external drive who's power supply had gone. The important bit is in a separate case, so that would be ok to do. The outer case is just for protection (as you now know :p) and to provide usable connections to the computer USB port. I bought a new case (about 25 quid) and put the old drive into that. You do need to make sure you get the right sort though (SATA or ATA etc) as they're not compatible.

Great to hear you got it to work eventually though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts