Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering putting Oliver to sleep. I can not handle his devil ways anymore. I am at my wits end. He attacks me too much and I can no longer handle it. I'm done, I'm through. He is over 1 year old now and shouldn't be this way. I can not handle him anymore. I've tried everything. I love him so much but absolutely can not deal with him anymore. I can not even walk up my own stairs without him attacking that leaves welts and brusies and scares all over my arms and legs. He just got my entire shoulder and face and I've had it. Has anyone had a cat put to sleep due to unruley behavior. I love him to death but can NOT deal with this anymore. :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
983 Posts
I remember your post on the cat furniture, i didn't post an answer because i knew buying furniture wouldn't solve the problem. If you can't handle it, i's suggest placing an ad on petfinder or in your local paper, truthfully detailing his problems. I BET YOU you'll get called wanting him, there's always people out there who have the time and patience to work with a troublesome animal.

You can give it a last try, if you want, but again, some cats just have a temper that you either learn to live with or you don't. Play therapy is always suggested, also these plastic claws you glue on your cat, they'd help a LOT.. and stay on for at least 2-3 months. That way, even if he lunges, he can't scratch. Does he bite?

Don't be upset, sometimes things dont' work out. It's sad, but it's life :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with RarePuss that you should try to find Oliver a home if you have decided he is too much to handle.

I haven't had any problems with troublesome behaviour yet so I don't know what advice I can offer. Have you tried things to get him to change his behaviour?

And like RarePuss said too I wonder if the soft claw or paws (can't remember the name) would be helpful in this situation.

Is it only you he attacks or others too?

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Biting is the problem. He lunges with his opened fanged mouth. I do have the patience and I do have the time, he just has always been like this since day one and I've had him since he was about 6 weeks old. He has some toys and I direct him to those when I can but once he gets in attack mode, there is no stopping him. I don't want anyone else to have him and possibly abuse him because of his own abusive behavior. If his claws were the problem, then I'd be able to deal with that....it is his teeth. Seriously, can a vet pull them out and I put him on wet food the rest of his life? I would do that in a heartbeat if that were an option. And I am sick of people saying I let him get away with his behavior. I do not at all. I yell, I hold him down (as much as I can) and I've just tried everything. I go on vacation this Thurs-Sun and I am giving my mom permission to take him to get him put to sleep. I'm sure I'll go to **** for it but I am at the end of my rope.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Heather102180 said:
I go on vacation this Thurs-Sun and I am giving my mom permission to take him to get him put to sleep. I'm sure I'll go to **** for it but I am at the end of my rope.
Oh NO... don't do it on a whim! :( Putting a pet to sleep is horrible, and it's worse when you did it to a healthy animal :( It's Karma, it will come back to you. If you lived with him for a year, why not do it for another month or so while you try to find him a new loving home - trust me, when you REALLY exaust all possible ways to solve it, then you can safely say "Well, i did ALL i could". :x

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THere is no one on earth that I would want to have my Oliver. No one would ever put up with him as much as I do. I assume dogs are much easier to train. I can not train Oliver. I've done everything. I suppose I could keep him in my unfinished basement and keep his food and water down there too and make him a nice home down there....

No, it's not only me he attacks, he attacks everyone...he'll be purring so loud while you pet him and then in a split second, his ears go back, his face in a triangular position, and looking like an owl. He then attacks. It really is the worst thing ever. Have you see the picture in my photogallery of what he did to my sister? How can he be purring one second and attacking the next? I honestly do NOT understand it one bit.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you lived with him for a year, why not do it for another month or so while you try to find him a new loving home
And I just do want to clarify that he is in a very very loving home right now. I love him more than anything and anyone who knows me would tell you that. :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Heather102180 said:
Seriously, can a vet pull them out and I put him on wet food the rest of his life? I would do that in a heartbeat if that were an option.
I seriously think no vet will allow you to pull such a stunt.

Having your mom put him to sleep is frankly immature, this is your cat and your ultimate responsibility. Why does your mom have to deal with the terrible feelings of doing the 'dirty' work for you??? :x

I'm going to stop for now, this is just making me upset :(

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not a "stunt". I am really sorry I posted this. It was right after he completely attacked my face to where I have bleeding claw and teeth marks on it and I have to go to a wedding next weekend and meet my bf's parents for the first time which I am already stressed enough about, looking like this! I highly doubt I would ever put him to sleep because of this. I am just completely upset and I figured I could vent on the cat forum. I posted a well thought question about cat furniture awhile ago and have had 34 views and 0 replies so I figured no one would reply to my recent post either.

I don't want anyone to think I am inhumane. I was caught in the moment of unbelievable stress and confussion.

I could not bring myself to do anything with him like that but need help on what I should be doing to turn his behavior around.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about his behaviour?? sometimes cats can be put on medication for anxiety etc Maybe they could help you help Oliver to change his behaviour?? Or hormone room stuf like Feliaway??

·
Registered
672 Posts
Heather why not try looking for a no-kill shelter in your area that can maybe work on his aggressiveness and find a new home for him for you? If you say you truly love little Ollie then why do you want to have a vet kill him when he is perfectly healthy? I honestly didnt know you were having those problems with him, I dont think you have ever posted about this before.

Whatever happens, if you do decide to go with euthanizing him, I really hope you do not get another animal. This is just my opinion and I hope you have a change of heart. :(

EDIT: to add that I was typing this when you hadn't responded to RarePuss yet. Understandable if you were emotional at the time and didn't mean to post this...

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some people say walk away as soon as he attacks and some say to fight back and hit him (which I think is wrong) and hold him down. I get conflicting advice.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stix owner-I have posted a few times about his behavior but just recently. Also, don't recall who posted about asking the vet for anxiety medicine for him but that does sound feasable. I would love to give that a try.

Oh and here is the picture I was talking about...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Heather102180 said:
Also, don't recall who posted about asking the vet for anxiety medicine for him but that does sound feasable. I would love to give that a try.

That was me. I am sure there are some good articles out there on this topic. Maybe Dr. Jean will see this and have some advice?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I found this....

If you live in area in which a veterinary behaviorist practices (usually big metropolitan areas or near veterinary colleges) it would be worthwhile to consult with a behaviorist. Extreme aggression directed towards people is best treated by someone who can evaluate the possible physical causes and who is familiar with the possible psychological problems as well. Physical causes include problems such as chronic pain, ischemic damage in the brain and some neurologic defects. Psychological problems include extreme anxiety, redirected aggression, fear and several other potential problems. If a cause can be identified, either physical or psychological it is easier to predict whether or not treatment will be beneficial and obviously easier to choose the treatment plan most likely to work.

·
Registered
192 Posts
if my cat were like that, i dont think i could put up with that also if she were to hurt all my family members... cats have a mind of their own and your cat could be one of those rare cases of overaggressiveness...

the best solution other than keeping your cat would be to put her at an adoption place or no kill shelter... maybe time away from humans would get her to change her ways when she gets adopted by a new owner *shrugs*

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I realize his behavior is extreme compared to many. Barnaby doesn't like to play with toys but he always liked to chase my feet and latch on and bite. A second cat gave him an outlet for his play aggression where now they can chase, wrestle and bite each other. Even if another cat were an option, Oliver may be too aggressive and hurt the other cat.

It sounds like an extremely difficult situation. :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
My cat was much the same way as yours. It's taken a while, but he rarely bites to hurt me anymore. When you say "nobody will put up with him like you do", you're wrong. I also have a cat with some severe behavioural problems, and I put up with it because I love him and promised to protect and care for him.

If you cannot put in the time/effort with him, find him a new home or take him to a no-kill shelter. Don't simply kill him.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
This is awful. I had seen your cat furniture post but couldn't really offer any advice but had no idea things were this dire. This may be a stupid question but is he neutered? I really don't think any vet would put down a healthy cat just for bada$s behavior. I'm sure something can be done. As someone else suggested, maybe exposure to another cat or animal may bump him down a few notches, maybe not. Maybe Paxil or Prozac can help? :?

·
Registered
327 Posts
My cat is also a lil bit on the crazy side...he is constantly wanting to play..chases after me to attack my legs (that is what HE consides play)....when i hold him..he bites my fingers....he just today ruined the keys on my laptop...breaks things.... but i would NEVER be able to put him to sleep...what i love about him is what others hate...i love the fact that he isnt a typical cat...he is always hyper...runs around...and the biting i just dont let him think im playing with him i dont move my finggers..i just hold it sill and he lets go..but its hard to teach him a lesson as you said you have also tried...i have had scratches and other things but i still love him because of how he is...please dont put your cat to sleep..if you love him...you wouldnt put him to sleep..and if you cant see him with anothr owner besides yourslef, then how are able to think about putting him to sleep? i think you'll feel much better knowing you gave him to a good owner then to know you put him to sleep for no reason good enough..try all you can..TRUST ME...you'll regret it if you dont.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.