Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so.. you all know that I'm supposed to be getting a new kitty soon.
Maybe by Wednesday or something -- not sure yet.

Well.. you guys probably know my situation, if you read my post earlier.
How I gotta keep her in my room, because dad hates indoor pets -- I've bought her tons of things to climb on and play on, so no worries about that.
I'll also be taking her outside for walks, because I have a kitty leash and such for her!

ANYWAYS. I really don't want to keep my door closed 24/7, because my room will become too hot/cold without proper air fluctuation -- is there ANYTHING I could put up to keep her from running out the door while it's open (it will be closed at night and some throughout the day, but I don't want the door closed ALL day, you know what I mean?)?
A screen, gate or anything else? I thought about a baby gate, but those are so short, the kitty would just end up jumping over it (some kids even know how to!).

I really would appreciate suggestions, because I really need them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I guess I could do that. Do you think there's any other possible alternatives? I'm not sure if my mom would agree to bombarding my room with large baby gates!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I don't have anymore suggestions, as I have never had to confine my cats to one room for more than a few days and they easily sneak through legs when you open the door. I hope someone else has something better for you.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Unless you're able to have something custom-made, or you're handy with wood and a tool box, then stacked baby gates are your only option. Alternatively, you could use an internal screen door or a door with wooden slats...but neither can be bought from the store, so you would need to make it or have it made.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Maybe you could put a screened door up as an extra door to your bedroom? Or you could cut your existing door and add an extra doorknob to have one of those doors that will open from the top or bottom (like they use in daycares)? You would just have to cut it high enough that the cat wouldn't always be tempted to jump out. Alternately, if you have high ceilings, instead of putting in a new door/modifying your door, you could have a window cut into the wall above your doorway that you could leave open for air circulation.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I doubt my parents would agree to adding windows into our walls or doors, because they're already remodeling the inside of our house.
I think I'll go with the baby gates idea, unless I can find something else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a super bad experience with baby gates & kittens before ): i dunno how big your kitty is gonna be but when my cat had kittens we had baby gates in the hall way and one of hte kittens tried to climb over it, it ended up falling on him & he died within like 24 hrs ): it was really really sad. soo i think baby gates & kittens are badnewsss lol but i know other people had good experiences with ittt SO I DUNNO! ):

id use like a screen doorr or something like that :) maybe like can you even just put up a cloth thing across your door but kind of nail it or tack it down so that the cat can't get through, but the air will still flow through kind of. i dunno, thats all i can think of hehe

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you want to try baby gates, I would get a gate that has a door and place it on the bottom and place another, solid gate on top. You'll have to duck under the second gate to get through, but that way you can enter and exit your room without removing the gates or climbing over them.

To address sheebyshoes' issue, if you use this type of system, because there are no cross bars on the lower gate, the cat can't climb it and pull it over.

Here are the gate types I am talking about.

This on the bottom Amazon.com: Supergate Extra Tall Easy Close Gate, Bronze: Baby

And something like this over top off it. Amazon.com: The First Years Everywhere Gate: Baby

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Anapanda,
I've lived in a situation with room specific cats and the hands down best solution is a scrren door on your bedroom door if it can be managed. measure the doors demensions, post on cragslist what you need, try talking to your parents, check you local freecyle, whatever.
You mentioned you parents are already remodeling, perhaps there is someone who could build a quick interior screen door frame for cheap, purchasing some vinly pet screen and 1 bys for this project would be less than a good babygate system and maybe asking Mom or Dad or someone handy to build it with you...?
Just trying for options. BTW you parents may not want to hang a new hinge system for a new door, swapping your solid door for the correct sized screen door is easy (just takes a screw driver). Adding a shower curain or other cutain to the door way that slides open and closed gives you a bit of privacy....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just talked with my dad to see if there was anything he could build to put up over my door in place of a baby gate... he said no. I asked him if I could get baby gates instead, since he wasn't going to build anything.. and he said no. So basically, he's making me keep my door shut 24/7 -- so.. I guess me and the kitty get to be stuck in a room a lot.

I gave my boyfriend a large story about how pets are my best friends because I never had any friends at a young age like most people did. I had pets, who ended up running away or something. I was never allowed to have indoor pets, so something would always happen to them.. now that I AM allowed to have one, it's gotta stay in my room with me. How sad is that? I wish it could be different, but.. I'll make it work.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
How large is your room? I can see a cat going crazy if it's stuck in a bedroom for too long... especially if it's a kitten, are you getting a cat or a kitten? Does your room have windows for it to look outside? I think that's really important in small areas. Are you in a location (away from heavy traffic and wild animals) where it might be possible to have your cat outdoors some of the day? That would make the cat far less bored. When you bring it inside you could take it right to your room. In fact you could adopt a cat that's previosuly been an indoor/outdoor to help ensure the cat has outdoor smarts. You can find cats like that on places like Craigslist.

Sorry for all the questions... I'm not sure if I've seen your previous threads or not...

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
How much longer will you be living with your folks? Is there a glimmer of hope in the future of moving out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts