Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. 1 mistake on my part as brought me searching for help for 2 different cats.

Sunday evening I opened a window in my new home (moved 2 weeks ago) forgot to close the window before leaving for a 12 hour work shift. Came home to find that cats had pushed screen out and 2 of 3 had escaped.

I was able to soon find Jay Jay near my home. I have been unable to locate Spooky. I need ideas in bringing her home. I plan to post flyers, visit humane society, run an ad in the paper etc. This is Spooky's first outing in the new neighborhood. She was an indoor/outdoor cat at our old home. I am very worried since she is so easily spooked by strange situations, noises, and people. She just seemed to get situated in the house.

Jay Jay has me concerned as since I found him, he's been shaking and jerking in his back legs. The shaking is all over. Just a soft constant shake. He's been eating, and acting okay. A few things that have changed was that he seems to lay in different positions and peed on my bathroom floor. It was neither a "spray" nor a normal pee where he squats. He was just standing there. It did not appear that he was straining, and there was a good amount.

He has been eating, and playing a bit, but not as much as normal. He has been home for nearly 24 hours now - I have only been with him for about 6 of those.

I cannot tell if he is pain. He seems to be constantly purring and non stop shaking. THe jump from the window could have been 6 1/2 feet if he did not use the fence to help him down - could he have strained something?

I do plan to call my vet as soon as they open. But since moving, I am very tight on money and am afraid for the possibilities. I do not have money to run tests, and do not know what the vet will want. This could not come at a worse time.. I am very sad with Jay not being right and Spooky still missing.

Any advice or ideas for either would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Absolutely take Jay Jay to the vet. He could have a spinal injury. Cats often purr to comfort themselves; it can be a sign of severe pain. Anything could have happened to him while he was out. A vet needs to check him over.

In addition to your other ideas for finding Spooky, which are all good, call around to veterinarians in the area, in case she is found and someone takes her to their vet. Don't just call the shelters, visit every 2 or 3 days. Most shelters are understaffed and lots of times information on lost and found animals just doesn't get entered or connected up correctly. You need to see for yourself if she's there. The shelter may also be able to rent you a live trap; set it up in your yard, so that if she wanders through, you might just catch her. The fees are usually very nominal, although you will probably have to put down a (refundable) deposit.

It will be harder because she was an outdoor cat before. Indoor cats who get loose usually just go into hiding immediately, usually very close by. But she's got outdoor experience and could wander a long way.

How far did you move? If you're within a few miles, check your old place too. A lot of cats will go home to their most familiar place. Maybe put a trap there, too--*if* you are able to set it at night and check it every morning without fail. Put a worn sweater or other clothing of yours that has your scent by the trap to attract her.

Good luck!

Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, Dr. Jean.

I am still waiting for the vets to open for Jay. He is currently grooming my dog. Will the vet need to perform some kind of test to rule a spinal injury? What kind of treatment will this require? I do plan on taking him in, asap.. But do want to prepare myself for the outcome..

I moved about 5 miles from my old location. I have alerted my old neighbors to keep an eye out for her. Jay was an indoor cat - perhaps that brought him home sooner!

I will take your suggestions in finding Spooky. I will certainly start calling vets in chance that someone has turned her in.. The idea of some clothing that I've worn is also a good one. I've been calling for her around here, but she's never been one to come when called, unlike Jay.

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I always fear that happening with my cats too if I leave the window open, especially since one of my cats like going outside. Try to go out in the middle of the night when things are more quiet and call your kitty and leave out some dry food for your cat too. But like DrJean said, take your cat to the vet, it sounds pretty serious with him shaking constantly. Let us know the results of everything. Good Luck! <<))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts