Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about some stories about how you picked out your cats (or any other pets)? Mine really excites me to think about so I thought that it would be nice to share it with you, and to get the privilege of hearing some other unique and bizzar stories as well.
My mother and I went out one Wednesday night for our usual date night, and I suggested that after dinner we go to Petland and gawk at the kittens. She couldn't have agreed more, as she is also a cat-loverx10000000. We scarfed down our dinner, then drove like a maniac on steroids to the nearest Petland (we didn't speed though, we just felt like we were due the the adrenaline). As soon as my mom laid eyes on the skinny kitten sharing a cage with two bigger cats who were stealing his food, she just wanted to hold him. He was massaging the other cats and laying down on them and trying to play with them and they would just ignore him. It is a very interesting concept--that a living thing could forgive the very beings that were being so rude to him and stealing his food and ignoring him. It was that kitten who taught me the lesson of forgiveness. And I didn't want to pester my mom, because that would just make her not want to take the kitten home. She was already falling in that direction anyways. I just nudged her in the right direction.
That kitten's first name was Jinx, then Yoyo, and it still is Yoyo. He is now almost one and a half!

·
Registered
146 Posts
thats a great story...i got a good visual of the tiny kitten having his lunch stolen in the cafeteria by the bullies...and the kitten still trying to be thier freinds becuase he thinks they are sooo cool. :lol:

unfortunatly...not really interesting how i got my pets. Our first Kitten, Allie, we got at an animal shelter. I was looking for a silver cat to name Mr Higgins, there wasnt one there. then i saw a really cute bright orange tabby boy, i pulled him out to play with him, and he started to SCREAM at me!......i put him back real quick! he shut up when i put him back in the cage with the little calico girl that was passed out. I was watching him climb all over her, paws on her head, chewing on her ears, and she just stayed asleep...so my wife told me to grab her. I pulled her out and she was still mostly asleep just hanging limp in my hands, and she had a dried blob of neon pink paint on her for head, to mark her for some reason or other. eyes droopy, and looked back and for quietly meowing at us..to me it sounded like ..."huh...what? where am I? oh...im sleepy, what do you guys want?" she was adorable, and no one has "laid claim" to her like they had on 90% of the other kittens, so we took her. thought she was going to be a lazy relaxed cat, based on first impressions. yeah....NOT SO. she is INSANE, and MOODY!!! but she is still sweet and lovable.

we got a russian blue we named Mr Higgins last friday...even more boring story. i just kept googling for "russian blue kitten" until i found someone who was fostering one for the local non-profit organization. they had him listed on craigslist with his 2 sisters...

i know there are some more interesting stories our there....where are they?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Both interesting stories! Your story isn't boring, Dustin :D

We didn't choose our Tiddlers - they chose us! About 6 months before our poor Jimmy died the Tiddlers moved into a flat below us with their (human) mother. As soon as they realised that the big scary ginger cat wasn't around any more they couldn't wait to start exploring and hanging about outside our door, wondering what lay within. So of course we couldn't resist letting them in.

One thing led to another and they visited more and more frequently. Then we made the 'mistake' of supplying them with little snacks and we couldn't get rid of them. Their human mother was quite a flighty young thing and often seemed to stay out all night without warning, so the Tiddlers got to staying with us overnight from time to time.

Then their human mother had a real human baby (possibly as a result of one of the overnight expacapades :lol: ). Now we can't get rid of the Tiddlers - they are with us virtually all the time. They pay her a visit now and then and stay with her when we're on holiday, but mostly they act as if they live with us. I think they regard the block of flats as just one big home for them and they just go wherever they want :D

seashell

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like your stories. I have a few cat so i have a few stories too :D

My moms cat that passed a few months back was just a baby when we got her. A stray cat had kittens in our garage and we had gone to see them and i think we scared her away cause she decided to move her kittens. We watch them and after she was done we went back out there and she had left one so we left it alone for the rest of the day and when it started to get night she hadnt come back for it. So we gave it to our mom for mothers day. Even though she told us no more pets :D She was really a baby, not walking or anything and my mom bottle fed her and everything. She has her first steps on video tap, not her human kids though lol. She lived to be 15 years old.

My two bigger babies my little brother and me "found" outside. Our neighbors girlfriend brought them from somewhere and had let them run around her yard while she went inside. They were young maybe 4 months old i suspect. Me and my brother caught them and took them over to our house and were playing with them and we asked our mom if we could have them, or maybe we asked the lady if we could have them first, i cant remember. But me and my brother build them a little house on our front porch and started feeding them. Mine was the girl Kilala and his was the boy Tigar. Kilala lived outside until she had kittens and i brought her in and she stayed in.( thats how i got the other two cats :D) And Tigar recently came in because he had his eye removed and i felt he wouldn't be as safe outside anymore. I like them being inside i don't have to worry about them as much. They are five now.

Those are the only cat story i have that are interesting and that i can remember. Hope you liked them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love the story about how I got my first cat (passed away now, but we had 13 great years with her!):

When I was a junior in high school 13 years ago, an announcement was made that whom ever had brought, and then left, the kitten at last nights soccer game please come claim her. Obviously no one had brought a kitten to a HS soccer game, so there came a following announcement would anyone interested in taking in the kitten left at the soccer game (and had parent's permission) leave their name with the office.

I got my mother's permission to put my name "at the bottom of the list." She had many cats over the years, but not since the oldest one died when I was 5 (this was 11 years later) and didn't really want to take care off/clean up after one. But we have always LOVED cats, so she made that compromise. I went to the office and did exactly that, put my name on the Bottom of the list.

At the end of the day I got called to the office to take home the kitten (only it was an 6-8 month old cat!). It turned out that while I was at my locker and getting to the after school waiting room, my friends (who had pets and new I needed/wanted a cat) stood at the office door and told every one who came to inquire that I was already taking her! My mom still thanks them to this day :)

She was a very girly cat. I almost called her Precious, but went to see Beauty and Beast on stage the weekend after getting her. I always loved the flirty romance of Lumiere and the feather duster - who in the play has a name - Babette. She was a lovely and unique girl who gave us alot of love while she was around.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Pepper and Ginger's stories are the most unique here.

I used to work with at risk youth, one of my youth loved cats so we had a lot in common. She fed a lot of strays at her bus stop in the AMs and also in late March told me about a pregnant female she had been feeding at her house. She told me about how the female was really sweet, would let them handle her etc but the babies were moving and she was due soon. Knowing the neighborhood I felt a tug to let this momma have her babies somewhere safe. I asked hubby if I could bring her home and let her give birth here in safety--he said she could come here, but not inside. It seemed like in an instant I had a big dog cage borrowed from someone and I was prepared to house this cat. I told the girl I would come pick up this cat if they could hold on to her for me--her older sister said she would just carry her to me at work--about 6 blocks distance.

On April 2 I brought the cat home, the babies were active in her belly. I took her to the vet about 3-4 days later so make sure she was flea free and FIV/FeLV negative which she was. The vet said she'd have the babies in the next week. I waited 18 days total for five beautiful healthy kittens. Four females and one male, a cream, a blue and white, a torbie, a tortie and a black and white. Momma Ginger was a great momma and she raised her babies in the cage on our front porch. At 8 weeks I found them homes, one in our home, Pepper. And when nobody would take Ginger, we decided to keep her here with us.

Its been 16 weeks since Ginger gave birth almost 19 weeks since Ginger came into our lives. I know that there are multiple reasons I have Ginger and Pepper. I no longer work at that job with those youth, but my heart will forever be with them. Each time I see Ginger I know that I have a little piece of those kids right here with me. And Pepper is a constant reminder that Ginger will never mother another litter and that I did what I set out to do, keep Ginger and her babies from adding to the pet overpopulation. Pepper is also named in memory of a beloved turtle we had put to sleep just a few weeks after the kittens were born.

Leslie

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I have *never* got to choose my own cat. They have all chosen me.

The cats of our 16yr marriage (1993-current):
Inky was brought home from my husband's work when he found him sick and huddled on the downwind and sunny side of a car tire, trying to absorb some heat from the sun and engine warmth.
The Trio: Mister, Silver and Toby, were found/rescued among the dairy outbuildings of the farm we rented our house on. They were about 6-7wks old.
The Wanderer was, as his name indicates, a travelling tomcat who I tamed/socialized in the barn. We returned from a vacation to find him with a broken leg so he was taken in for a cast and The Snip. He became my husband's cat, following him around the house and laying on his feet.
Bonnie was another rescue kitten from my husband's work.
Oscar and Blaze both wandered up to our house after The Wanderer became an indoor cat. Oscar had to remain an outdoor cat because he would *not* adjust to living with other cats indoors.
Marmalade was another orphaned rescue from my husband's work. Marmy came to me blue wih lack of oxygenation, his body shutting down. I remember the frantic drive to the vet, constantly checking to see if he was still breathing. Vets were able to give him fluids and revive him. I bottle fed him for 7 weeks. He was my first bottle-fed cat.
Reilly kept running into the home we rented in Washington State and was so persistent. Another lady asked if he was ours, because he was getting into her trash and she was going to take him to the pound. Instead, we took him to get neutered and my husband took him to work to be the office cat. The first week he stayed at work, but came home with my husband on Friday night. I freaked, but luckily the home-cats never did. They accepted Rei as if he had *always* been part of the family. From that weekend on, Rei drove back/forth to work with the husband every day. Eventually Rei couldn't stay at his work (other contractors) and Rei became a permanant addtion to our home family.
I saw BooBoo get hit by a car in front of our house and run off. I searched unsuccessfully for him and everyone I spoke to knew nothing about the classic orange cat. Two weeks later, he was sitting on our front patio table and I put him inside the house. Instant housecat.
Squirrely-Jo was found abandoned at a stopsign with her two siblings when they were about 5-6 weeks old.
Shasta was found in our garage at about 7-8wks old.
Malibu was my first TNR, and I trapped and raised her litter to be adopted through the center that helped me get Mallie spayed.
Shadow showed up pregnant so I brought her in to give birth and eventually had her spayed and her litter was also adopted out.
Pretty was another TNR, and my most challenging tame/socialization project, to date. Her litter was also trapped and tamed/socialized for adoption.
Dusty was the sire of Pretty's litter and he was also socialized for neutering.
LuckyDuck (Louie) was found by my husband at his work with a terribly infected abcess; the abcess was the size of a tennis ball. He brought him to me and I took him right to the vet. Poor Louie looked like Franken-kitty for a while, he had 8" of stitches in a "Y" shape under his throat.
Rusty was a cat who I found collapsed on our back patio and I tried to save him, but after 6wks of great food/care, he was still losing weight so I helped him over The Bridge.
Floofy was abandoned and sort of hung around a neighbor's house. He sort of 'attached himself' to me when I went over to speak with them one night. They didn't want him so I brought him home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Heidi..........you are FELINE SAVIOUR to the bone! bless you!

:2kitties :2kitties :eek:nekitty :kittyturn :eek:nekitty :2kitties :2kitties :cat3 :blackcat :catmilk :kittyball :eek:rcat :wolfie :cat3

·
Registered
580 Posts
I figured Jack and Harley deserved their moments as well.

Jack started it all. I grew up in a dog only home and after moving out longed for a furry pet--turtles just aren't cuddly. I knew we couldn't house a dog and for a couple weeks had been looking at cats on petfinder--but hadn't even brought the idea up to hubby.

The day before Halloween our good friend, Jackie, texted me and said I just found an adorable orange kitten on our back porch, can't you find room in your heart for something cuddly. Hubby agreed to go see the kitten the next day and in love we both fell. Jack-o-lantern came home that Halloween night and our lives have never been the same.

Harley was rather spur of the moment, hubby had agreed at some point we would add a second cat but it would have to fit just right. We had taken Jack to petsmart to weigh him and I saw Harley in the adoption area. He looked so sweet and meowed at me throw the window. We asked to see him in the little room and he pulled at my heart strings. He just seemed to fit. He had spent 4 long months in the shelter. hubby wasn't set on things and said he'd think about it. That night we were with the couple that gave us Jack and I told them about Harley (named wookie at the time) they said do it. Hubby agreed to it at 8 PM, I callled petsmart to see if he was still there, they said he was but they couldn't hold him, I said if he's still there at noon tomorrow I'm adopting him. The only issue was that I knew our landlord wouldn't agree--they are worried about their new carpet. So...we lied and adopted him under our friends names who own their home.

In 18 months our landlords have come here 3 times to fix things and we are looking at houses to buy now so we aren't real worried that we have 3 (well technically 4 but Ginger lives outside) and our lease says 1.

Leslie

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got my little miracle Mathias he is 12 weeks old, about. He was born out at the barn where I work part time. His Mom is feral and had put his litter in the space in-between the out side wall of the barn and the back wall of the horse stall there is a space of about 10"-12" and it was filthy and dark and not very good place to grow up, so the owner got them out and moved the 4 kittens about 20 feet to a nice dry clean space. Well Mom promptly abandoned her liter she would walk right by them and would not even look at them. My boss has 17 horses to take care of on a daily basis adding 4 kittens was just to much for her so she asked me if I would foster them till they could feed them self’s they were about 3 weeks old at the time and half starved. I am a sucker for any thing small and fuzzy so of course I agreed. I do not consider me self a cat person and I was not going to keep one I was just going to do a good thing and enjoy my self while I had the company. But there was this one he would follow me around and seek out my lap more than any of the other kittens and wait at my feet patiently while the other 3 would be doing acrobatics as I was fixing a meal. So it did not take long to change my mind I was chosen and since I'm a sucker for small fuzzy things I caved, there was just one small problem, my parents, I rent above there garage. At first they said "NO" eventually they changed there minds but it was dicey for a while. It all ends well I found the other three great homes and I got to keep Mathias. Oh happy day.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My ex's Nan used to feed a few stray cats. One of which got pregnant. We were visiting one day and she asked me if I'd seen her pregnant cat and pointed out the bushes she's usually hiding behind. When I looked in there, I noticed a bigger patch of ginger than what should have been on the tortie mother cat and realised it was a tiny ginger kitten! Turned out she'd only had two kittens. One male ginger and a female that was black at birth but tabby markings came out as she grew older. She set them all up in a room inside and offered that I could keep whichever of the kittens I wanted once they were weaned. Originally I wanted the female but as we visited them over the next few weeks, the ginger one was much more calm and relaxed and affectionate so I decided to take him instead!
He grew up around other animals (rats, rabbits, another cat that sometimes came inside but didn't particluarly like him!) and when I broke up with my ex, I lived with a friend for 6 months who also had a cat. They got on pretty well and I think Samson missed the company when I moved back to Mum's.. I then fostered a cat but Mum put a stop to that as he (the foster) kept peeing/pooping through my room and it smelt so bad! Him and Samson played together all the time though and again, Sammy was lonely.

I decided that it might be better to adopt a new kitten so that it would grow up with Sammy and hopefully not have the peeing/pooping issues outside the box! My current boyfriend was going to buy me a Ragdoll for our 1 year anniversary but I really couldn't justify asking him to spend so much money on a kitten when there were so many looking for homes in shelters, for much less money. So I talked to my current bf about the extra cat (figured we'd probably eventually live together and it'd become his cat too so needed to make sure he'd be okay with 2 cats).. I really wanted a long haired kitty and my bf really liked the grey/blue colour.

So for weeks, I visited shelters (driving upto an hour and a half if I thought they had the perfect kitty) but had no luck.. One day I was supposed to visit my best friend in hospital but drove around for 1/2 an hour and couldn't get a park! So I went straight to work, arriving early I decided to chek out the local pound just around the corner. There was a TINY grey kitty in the litter tray. I wasn't allowed into the cat area but the guy that worked there went to get it out for me to see. As he was going in, there was suddenly this GORGEOUS grey ball of fluff sitting at the window right in front of me! I have no idea where she'd come out from but as soon as I saw her, I knew it was meant to be! About 10 mins later, she was in the car back to work with me =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awww, those are all really great stories.. I enjoyed reading every single one of them

How I got my kitty..
Well I got him 6days ago.
My brother is going off to university in September. We're not going to be seeing him a lot and since I'm really close to my brother he knew I was going to be really sad and depressed with him not around. My brother is 19 my sister is 16 and I'm 13. My sister does miss my brother but, she's not as attached to him as I am. anyways.. he doesn't like it when I'm sad so he decided to surprise me with a kitten. Two days before he brought him home my brother told us that a special guest is going to be coming over. And he kept reminding us.. I got so mad at him cause he wouldn't tell me but, the wait was worth it.
So when he gets home from work in the afternoon he's with his girlfriend and a kitten in a little cardboard box. I've always wanted a cat or dog all my life and I finally got one. I was so happy!
So we trimmed his nails and then gave him a bath which he hated very much. He REALLY needed a bath because my uncle own a car shop and he was covered in grease. We still call him our little grease monkey. They found a pregnant kitten in their shop. It had three kittens and they gave one to my brother. My uncle already named him. His name is Kovu (From the Lion king II) He's a real cutie and I love him to death even though he can be a pain in the butt a lot of times. Hopefully I can get a picture up of him soon. :D

~Vanessa

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd type up my story, but the Temporary Cat has my typing arm pinned and is fast asleep and not letting go. So this is just a placeholder for later. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When I was little my parents had two outdoor cats that they had as barn cats to take care of the mice that would get into the horse feed. Their names were Johnna and Jason (after two of my cousins, we also had two parrotkeets named Paul and Johnnie after two more of my cousins. Jason was a good cat who died of old age, after my parents got found a new home for my mom's horse (who she didn't have time to ride and take care of anymore because she was busy with 3 kids under 6) they gave Johnna (who was a GREAT mouser) to a friend who was having mouse/rat problem's in their barn. They did have other cats but they weren't really good mousers.

When I was about 8 I found that my neighbors two Westies had treed this gray tabby teenager kitty. I chased away the dogs and got him out of the of the tree, fed him, named him Tiger and that was that, he was my kitty. Sadly, about a year later around Christmas, my mom found him on the road out in front of the house, he had been hit by a car and killed. :(

My parents then found two cats (a mom and a grown kitten) that were being offered to a good home by their owners who were moving across country and didn't want to take their outdoor cats with them. The momma kitty was a beautiful longhair tortie named Tinkerbell (she was a rather pissy kitty who would attack without notice) and the kitten was a white cat with orange spots named Little Lotta (because she had a lot of little toes on each of her feet, she had at least 7 toes on each foot) and she was a talker. You would say hi to her and she would sound like she was trying to talk back to you. She was a great cat. When I was 11, we had to move into my dad's parents' house to take care of them and they wouldn't let us bring the cats. My parents made sure to find Lotta and Tinkerbell a good home.

After this, we didn't have any pets until my parents bought a house for us and my grandparents to move into when I was 14 and then we went to getting Dachschunds. We couldn't have indoor cats because one of my sisters was allergic to them and we couldn't have outdoor cats because they live off of a BUSY country road and there were always cats getting hit by cars flying down the road (we didn't want a repeat of Tiger). Then in highschool, I developed very bad allergies and asthma and one of those allergies were to cats (even to shorthairs :( ) so I thought I would never be able to get a cat again because I never wanted to get an outdoor cat because I didn't want them getting hurt by all the bad things in the great outdoors.

When I was getting ready to graduate college, I was debating weather to get a dog because I didn't want to live by myself but I knew I would be working 8 hours a day and I didn't want to leave a dog alone during the day. My college roommate suggested looking at Bengal cats because her cousin was a Bengal breeder and she has noticed that they are usually easier on people with cat allergies than your average DSH or DLH cat. When I went to look at the cats and I walked into the house where she had 20+ cats and kittens at this point in time and I did not sneeze once!!!! I then picked out my love bug, Teddy (named this because he is a cuddly bear of a cat), who was a year old at the time. He has been a great pet and I decided that I wanted a second cat who could possibly be a buddy for him. So, two weeks ago today, I went back to the breeder and picked out Leo, who is actually one of Teddy's littermates. I am still trying to get him used to me and I am going to get him vetted and neutered on Monday.

LOL I gave a joke that I've had a *sing songy* Leo, Tiger, and Teddy. Oh My! (to the tune of "Lions, Tigers, and Bears")

The breeder is getting out of breeding because she has a 10month old daughter and doesn't have the time and money to support breeding these lovely cats. She has had a hard time giving these cats to good homes because they aren't cute little kittens anymore (though they are ADORABLE and great adult cats) because most people want to get a kitten. If there is anyone who lives nearish southeast PA that would love to help out some great cats I can put you in touch with the breeder who still has 3 female Bengals and one adopted stray that she is trying to find good homes for. All of these cats are great and they have been raised underfoot and have been taught not to intentionally bite or scratch people and not to jump on counters!

Hope you enjoy my stories.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oh geez, here we go. I'll start with the least interesting and go to most unique...

Rodney was found by my boyfriend (prior to us meeting) out by Lake Michigan. He was a kitten and trapped between some rocks there, crying sadly. BF rescued him, but because of his transient housing situation, kept trying to find people to take him in. But... Rodney was already pretty attached to the BF, and the BF to Rodney, so he decided to keep him!

Basil was found by me in a Walgreens. I went there with a friend late at night, and heard a faint cat meow. Turns out, Basil had been in the store all day (according to the pharmacist). Given his age (about 6 months) and friendly nature, I figured he must have been ditched. He followed me around in the store so I couldn't help but take him in. He slept by my head the first night I brought him home and has been closely attached since.

Moxie was found in a parking lot behind a brothel. A friend, my BF, and I were going out to get thai food and unknowingly stumbled upon a brothel! We started to walk toward the "restaurant" and realized a nearly nude woman was standing outside... then we heard the mewling. Turned around to find the kitten and pick her up, and then realized the nearly nude woman was now....totally nude. And there were dudes coming in and out of cars back there... who didn't seem to be hungry. In total shock, we took the cat and left, and ordered pizza.

We were debating whether to keep her or not, but for about 5 years I was hoping to end up with a black female kitten with white paws, and I wanted to name her Moxie. I knew she LOOKED like the cat I wanted, but we didn't know her sex until we got back to my friend's place. Once I knew she was a girl, I knew I had to keep her. What are the odds that the cat you've been waiting for just lands in your arms? (Or that you stumble across a brothel, but that's a totally different feeling... :oops:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nothing special about how we got ours, but I'll share anyway :D It was more of a process.

Ive always had domestic pet rats, for half my life pretty much. I love them but about a year ago really just got to the point where I wanted a pet who didnt need to be put back into a cage all the time, something bigger that would live more than 2-3 years. Its so sad when you love your pet, get to know it and watch it grow up and become part of the family, to have it pass on after not very long at all compared to our life span.

1st thought was a dog, but with us not owning our own home yet this didnt seem wise. Id like to have a large fenced section if we had a dog. Also its pretty much impossible to rent where we are if you have a dog.

We were taking one of the ratties to the vet last year for a lump that had to be removed, when I saw this ginger and white kitten in the waiting room, a little stray needing a home. I wanted to take him home and the vet nurses on duty were very encouraging that a cat was for us, so after talking about it in the car for half an hour we went back into the vets with a carry cage and wound up bringing home this little fella. (After getting the vet to worm him and give him his 1st vaccination). And so we had our very 1st cat. We noticed he kept biting everyone a bit at the vet, but just passed it off at the time as him being a playfull kitten.

Unfortunatly, and I wish our vet had been a bit clearer on this, it turned out the 'stray' wee guy was a feral. He was in attack mode all the time and we had no idea what to do with him. I churned my way through piles of cat behaviour books from the library, and tryed everything in them, to no avail. As inexperienced cat owners we were out of our depth with a feral for our 1st cat.

After a few weeks of bites and clawing Astro one night lunged at my face randomly and bit me, leaving my lip bleeding and scratches on my face. It was heartbreaking - I mean this guy needed a home, and we wanted to keep him, but we rang back our vet and said we felt he needed to go to a more experienced owner. We didnt want to take him to the SPCA as we felt his fate there wouldnt be so good, at the height of kitten season.

I believe he went to someone on a lifestyle block in the end, I often think of him and hope it all worked out and he is happy. He would have grown into a lovely handsome boy.

The house was empty without him though. We agreed we still wanted a cat (a domestic one!) so looked in the classifieds and it wasnt long before we had Basil, a fluffy black and white male. We viewed him twice and had a hard time choosing between him and his sister, but in the end went with Basil. The difference between him and Astro was just amazing! We didnt know ourselves.

Nearly a year later and we got our new little girl, who we are having fun trying to name. Shes a dark shorthaired tabby whose existance came about because on the morning the mother cat was supposed to be desexed, the owners mother died. Cat didnt make it to the vet that day and as far as I know one of the children didnt close a door or something and she got outside and wound up in kitten.

Kitten season is quite bad this year where we are, so we thought what with room in the home/heart and budget for a 2nd cat we may as well help out :wink: Plus we'd talked about it a while ago and thought we'd get a second one eventually. The only difference here is that I was going to eventually get our second one (and we thought we'd give an adult a home, not a kitten) from the SPCA or a cat rescue.

I just put some money on the ladies vet account last night, a thank you for our little ball of fluff (she was free - but still) a donation towards desexing the mother cat. I think cash is a bit tight for them (they were going to use the SPCA free desexing campaign).

So it was really because of a small feral kitten, and rats, that we wound up with our 2 cats we have now. Quite an odd combination of reasons really! I still have rats too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow, this sure is a lot of replies, lol. i havent been on in a while, so I haven't gotten to see them since, what, August?
but we all have some pretty nice stories here. nice pets to all of you ;]]

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Since I had no experience with cats and already had a dog, I was totally not thinking of getting another pet, let alone a cat. I was at Petsmart and they had an area reserved for the shelter to display their animals for adoption. They had a big cage with one kitten out in front. I played with it and was so affectionate with me. It was playing with my hands (claws retracted) with its paws, rubbing against the side of the cage in an effort to rub against my hands. I made the 'mistake' of asking to hold the kitten. After that I was lost. She seemed so comfortable in my arms and I felt it so natural to be holding her.

I left with my family after a while to shop somewhere else, but I couldn't forget the feeling. After a couple of hours, I convinced my parents to go back. My dad wasn't pleased at all since first of all, he isn't an animal lover and secondly, I already had a dog and a chinchilla. He's like 'you've already got enough on your hands, it's just added responsibility.' My mother is an animal lover, but she's afraid of cat claws and cat bites so she said it would be my total responsibility. After I got it, I learned she was still available and I held her again in my arms. The only concern I had was that she got along with my dog. But she was still purring and very affectionate with me. So I figured she wasn't aggressive and might get along with him.

We got home and my dog, Rocky was like 'OMG, what is THAT?!' and proceeded to investigate. At first, Miu the kitten was a bit frightened and hissed at him. It's been 2 months now, they seem to be good friends. Miu follows Rocky around and tries to snuggle with him. Rocky just needs a bit more time though. He's been experiencing jealousy issues and won't let Miu cuddle yet. However, he loves play time with Miu. It's quite funny to watch them. She'll walk over and instigate him by pouncing at the floor in front of him or do a 'c'mon chase me' dance. Then he'll bark and start chasing her around the house. Hilarious because we'd be sitting in the den watching tv then out of nowhere, two furballs fly by with a cacophony of barking and paws against the hardwood floor. Then as suddenly as that happens, you turn your head, they're gone and all is quiet again....until they come around the bend once more. LOL!

Good thing is, as I mentioned, my dad is not an animal lover and of course he won't admit it, but I know that he totally loves Miu now! It's quite amusing that my silent, usually gruff dad will walk over and then call her name in this high voice to get her attention..then he'll dangle a toy in front of her and play. wah ha ha! He also does similar stuff with Rocky too! He'll come home from work and ask Rocky why he's sitting there and how his day was. HA HA.

My mom is also starting to fall in love with her. She's still afraid that Miu might bite her or scratch her. But funny thing is Miu loves to sleep with her on the sofa, sometimes in her lap! Mom's still wary, but is okay with that. Hopefully, Miu will grow out of or I can train her out of the biting scratching thing out of nowhere. Then my mother will totally be okay.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts