Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a stray adopt us Friday night. He's a black-and-white intact male about 1 1/2 years old. Our existing cat, Sassy, is a female about 3 1/2 years old. We got her from a shelter 6 months ago; she was a stray before that and had just delivered a litter. She's now spayed, though.

Sassy is reluctant to accept the new arrival so far. We're taking it slow as advised here and elsewhere, keeping the new guy in his own "safe room" until she adapts to the addition.

I'm thinking ahead now and my question is: how likely is it that these cats will be able to share a litter box someday? The way our house is laid out, there's really only one "good" location for it, and of course Sassy's got it now.

Any thoughts from the forum experts?

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I'm going to guess 75/25 they will not agree to share. It really depends on how good of buddies they become. If they snuggle and cuddle together, then they will most likely share food, water and litter boxes. Unfortunately that is nirvana and almost always does not happen right away if at all. One or the other ends up urinating or pooping outside the box - usually on the most inconvenient place like your bed because they feel threatened during their most vulnerable time. It may not happen right away but don't be surprised if does. I would buy a waterproof mattress cover first thing and the largest, deepest box you can find. There is an extra large high sided box at Petco. My logic is with twice the amount of litter it can hold compared to the average sized box, it may be more attractive. Is there not a corner of a little used room for a second box??

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with the second box. I live in a small two bedroom apartment and have two boxes. I just use very large rubbermaid containers and cut a hole in the lid, so I can have a good four inches or so of litter. I would just leave the lid off though for introducing two cats, wouldn't want one to feel trapped

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
All I can say is, you can give it a try. If it works, then great. If it doesn't, then you need to worry about where to put the second box.

Also, there was a link around here on some great DIY camouflage litter box locations. Like using a toy box, made to look like a hall bench but there is a litter box inside. Or a cabinet that looks like an end table but holds a litterbox inside, I think there was even an old steamer trunk, converted to hold a litterbox.
It doesn't just have to sit out in the open, it can be disguised or like Marcia does, put it in a closet, maybe a hall closet, linen closet, airing cupboard, etc. Just cut a hole in the door, insert a cat flap, or a tiny curtain to cover the hole. Lots of things can be done, really. You can Google "ways to hide the litter box" I'm sure you'll see all kinds of things.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

We do have other places where we can keep a box, but as I said we have only one "good" place. I'll look into concealed boxes, I guess.

·
Registered
580 Posts
In August I introduced a 6 month old female to my 1 year old male, they get along great now. They both share 1 litter box with no problems.

At first I had 2, as per recommendation by the people in this site, but over time I just thought it was overkill so instead I just got a large size box and they both use it. Never had an issue, and less work for me! Just scoop it daily!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have three litter boxes between five cats (until recently six) and they share perfectly (although one is very picky and if I haven't scooped will go in crazy places to teach me a lesson!!). basically I agree with other posters - if they bond then they will share.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
For a long time I had one box for 3 cats with no issues! I only added a second box upstairs when Annie started getting old. It depends on the cats. Try 2 at first, go down to 1 if they get along great but chances are you will need two at least to start. Once problems with inappropriate elimination start, it's hard to get it under control so best to err on the side of caution with 2 boxes - one for each to start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With cats that were already litter trained, we've had no issues with them sharing a litter box. The only reason we even have two litter boxes is because one is upstair (main level of the house) and one in down stairs (playroom/family room), and the cats get put down stairs each night.

However, it took about 6 weeks before the two of them started to get along, so don't count on a quick introduction period.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think two liter boxes is a good way to make sure there are no issues. My two cats share their two liter boxes. Even with two boxes they get cleaned twice a day. There's not always a lot of stuff to clean, but they walk around in the liter and then walk around the house, so I'd rather they not step in pee/poop and then spread it around the house. Two liter boxes for two cats seems reasonable.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Mine share :). They both tried to get one one box at the same time one morning...hahaha gizmo was like back off bub..this one is occupied

My sis made one in a closet...looks good!! I can't do that I have a small 1 bedroom...but they have 2 boxes..I had 3 and converted down to 2. Both are covered...one looks like a cabinet and the ither is a top entry..its nice and deep...gizmo will give lil meows when she goes in (I think in protest) but eep telling her...good girl giz!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.