Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have been busy with work and haven't been on in awhile so I hope everyone and your kitties are doing well. I have a quick health related question. I am coming down with a cold or something similar, symptoms started tuesday-ish. When I got up this morning, it was the worst I've felt. Sammy, my 1.5 year old long hair was sitting next to me on the bed and sneezed about six times in a row. He's acting fine otherwise, just the sneezes so I'm just a tiny bit uneasy instead of all out alert mode. For all I know, he got into a dusty corner but he's never sneezed that many times in a row before. Is it possible for a cold to infect both cats and people? On a slightly different tangent, if a cat has a cold, will he be able to recover on his own like a human would from a virus? or do they need to go to the vet no matter what? It's nowhere near that stage yet (few sneezes does not a sickness make) but it's good to know ahead of time.
Thanks,
Julie

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
No you can't transmit your cold to your cat.

A healthy cat will very often fight off a cold themselves. In cats they're usually due to the herpes virus and antibiotics won't help that. Some vets will prescribe to stave off a secondary infection. Signs you need to get the cat to the vet: green or yellow discharge from nose or eyes, fever, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, third eyelid showing, not eating or drinking, dehydration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.