Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 6 month old siamese has sharp claws...they were trimmed 2.5 week ago, and now are like razor blades...he got me today playing with his fake mouse...i am tired of being tortured.....someone said that i could get a scratching pad, that will dull his claws...is there anything out there that works good at taking the bite off the claws...or do i have to clip them???:catmilk

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes, you certainly need to get him one or two 'scratching objects' or your furniture will suffer ;)

There are many different kinds on the market, I am sure people here will chime in with their experiences.

·
Super Moderator
26,491 Posts
Oh, he's adorable!!!!

Kittens' claws seem to grow at an amazing rate! If he'll let you, you should trim them every couple of weeks. I don't think using scratching pads or posts dull them at all, but cats feel good scratching them and it'll save your furniture.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Scratching pads/posts are a great distraction to keep him off the furniture! It may take him a little bit to learn where he can and cannot scratch though. You can sprinkle cat nip on the post when he gets older (kittens usually don't react to it) or scratch on it yourself in front of him. That always gets mine excited about it and they copy me. I think they like the noise.

And yeah, definitely get him used to nail trimming at a young age. My younger kitten (also a siamese, of the lynx-point variety) has little teeny razors for claws and boy does it hurt when she snags them on me! They do grow back super fast. I think currently I have to clip hers at least once week to keep them from being too sharp. My older kitten, who is 8 months, seems to require less frequent trimmings.

Usually I just kind of try to glance at their claws now and then to see if they need a trim. Or if they snag them on me then I know it's definitely time for a trim. ;)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Scratching posts won't dull a cats' claws. If anything, scratching posts are used by a cat to sharpen their claws. More specifically, a cat's outer nail sheath becomes dull and ragged over time. When your cat scratches, he will shed his outer nail sheath, exposing the new sharper nails underneath. Despite that, I would strongly recommend getting a few scratching posts, since your cat is going to scratch and it's far better that he sharpen his claws on a post than on your furniture or on you!

I keep various scratching posts around, both vertical and horizontal, and posts of different material (sisal rope, etc.). You might have to experiment a bit to see which your cat prefers, although the most popular seems to be the tall vertical type, which allow a cat to both scratch and stretch. My girls love the scratchers on their cat trees.

As for keeping nails short, the only thing you can do is trim them, or have them trimmed. In order to avoid being tortured, you should try to make sure there's a string or wand between the cat's toys and your hands!

·
Registered
366 Posts
he's still young. get some clippers (I use human fingernail clippers) and start cutting his nails. If he's food motivated, when you are done (even if you just get one nail done the first time) give him a treat.
I trim all of my cats' claws (I have 4 presently) how else can you live with them otherwise? trimmed claws make kneading and play a lot more fun.
especially kittens can get their long claws stuck in furniture or curtains which can really damage the cat as well as your belongings.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes. As a kitten, definitely start trimming the nails. It's for your safety (so you don't get your eyes scratched out) and for the cat's safety (the nails can get caught on things.)

And yes, they grow pretty fast. I just trim them when I got time. Roughly every 1-2 weeks. Some claws get razor sharp and long sometimes!

The good ppl here on the forum taught me how to do it. I love them! Okay, so you sit the kitten in your left lap (I'm right-handed) with your left arm around him. Right hand has the clipper. Hold each paw with your left hand and clip. I had probs with her scwurming. Someone told me be confident and firm with my cat. They sense your hesitance and take advantage. So I tried holding her firmly and confidently. It worked! Now she no longer scwurms. She'll sit quietly til I'm finished. If she moves, I say a firm 'NO' and she stops.

As for the scratching post, yes. Get one or more. It gives them something to do, somewhere to scratch instead of your drapes or sofa, somewhere to stretch. Make sure you get a sturdy and right-sized one (think ahead and estimate how big your kitten will get.) It shouldn't topple if the cat pushes on it as he scratches. It should also be long enough for his body when he's stretched out as he's scratching. Also, you have to find out if your cat prefers horizontal or vertical versions. I have one that is both and was able to find out that my new cat actually likes horizontal while my first cat prefers vertical.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sharp claws

Ritz uses a scratching post to reduce stress, tension, as well as to sharpen her claws and get rid of the sheath. There are all kinds of scratching posts, some have "condos" and "trees" built in (reduces boredom in the cat while you're away).
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Like everyone else is saying - START WHEN KITTY IS YOUNG! You will save yourself alot of hassle down the road if you get him used to trimming nails when he's young.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I adopted my cats when they were 3 & 4 years old, so I take them to the vet for their nails. They're pretty bad. I have tried, and I have failed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts