Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat Fluffy is going to be 7 years old this coming March. He always hated grooming and I could never get near him with a brush.

So now he has some awful knots, that can't exactly be removed by me. The vet said he could shave him this spring so it wouldn't be too cold for him. Is this a good thing? Will it put too much stress on him? :shock:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a Persian who gets shaved every summer and he likes it. The actual shaving he doesn't care for but it appears as though he likes his shorter coat. He becomes more active, donesn't spend as much time grooming himself and his favorite reason is that I don't have to comb him while he has his short coat. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
It might be a good idea. If your vet if the one doing the shaving, they or even a good groomer will be able to tell if it is too stressfull for your animal. Most cats in the end will be ok with it.

Matts, can be annoying, water and bacteria can get trapped in there, terrible for the skin, not to mention if they form too bad it can hurt the cat. Imagen your hair all over your skull... and then some... constantly being pulled very very tightly. Not a fun thing to live with.
So it's either that, or the shaving.
Or... get used to grooming her so you can remove the matts before they start to form in the first place

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Shave my cat?

I sympathise with your predicament. Jimmy is very fluffy and also won't let us near him with a brush (except on his head an back, which don't get tangled anyway :!: )
I mentioned to the vet that I was concerned we couldn't groom him. She said not to worry as he was obviously doing a good job himself anyway, as young cats often do (he's 4)
But I'm wondering if we'll have to get some kind of professional grooming done on him as he gets older. He did have a big tangle in his 'ruff' the other day, but my partner managed to pounce on him and cut it out with scissors before he (the cat) realised what was happening :twisted:
But I hope it doesn't get too problematic as he gets older. If it does, I think shaving (by a vet) will be the only option.

seashell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts