Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a first for me. Our kitty, Maggie the Cat, has just snubbed her wet food. She's been solely on dry food for the last few months and today I found a can of wet in the cabinet. So I poured some out for her on a plate and she sniffed it and walked off. The dog is going nuts b/c he would LOVE to have at it, but it's behind the baby gate where her food and litterbox are kept. I've never had a cat turn down wet food before, and she's had this particular kind before and loved it. Is she just showing off to the dog that "yeah I CAN have it, but I'll let you smell it all day and then watch me eat it later"?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I don't know if Maggie is like Murphy, but he often snubs food only to come back later and eat it. I get the feeling he needs a while to think about it first, like he's going to have a better offer. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
My twins act as though they haven't eaten in days before I feed them, then sniff it and walk away. Little furry food critics!! Then they come back after they feel I've been tormented long enough.

You could try tricks like sprinkling Parmesan cheese on it or grinding up some kibble and sprinkling it on top.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if Maggie is like Murphy, but he often snubs food only to come back later and eat it. I get the feeling he needs a while to think about it first, like he's going to have a better offer. :)
My cat does that too. 2 weeks ago, I bought a dozen different brands and flavors of canned food, opened them all, and set them all down at once.

She sniffed them all out and went for fancy feast tuna and if I removed that, grilled tuna. I removed her choices one by one to see what she'd go for next. It seemed like she had a thing for tuna.

So I go out and buy a carton only to find that she doesn't want it anymore. Later I found tuna vomit in her room so I switched her back to a chicken/beef food.

I've also tried several high-end wet and dry foods and snacks which she won't touch at all. The people at the pet store must think I'm crazy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Arn't some cats just a trip when it comes to food. Go figure. You should see me guarding my Triskits food so my other cat sweety won't eat it, cause she takes her time then walks away, then eats more later. I feel like a nut some time with that. Sweety is obsessed with food, while triskit isn't.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Did the food expire? Or was the can bulging? If it's been in the cupboard a few months, maybe it went bad and that's why it got ignored.

I'm weird, and I LIKE the smell of canned cat food (smells like meat to me), so if it doesn't make ME hungry, then I don't dare give it to my kitties.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, not expired. I poured some dry food on top (like candy sprinkles!) and left it while we ran errands. She ate most of it while we were gone. I guess she was too proud to be grateful for such a treat in my presence, LOL. Just like a cat... my dog would've inhaled it in one second, but she had to pretend she was too good for it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Given a choice, many cats prefer dry food to wet food. It took me months to transition my girls from dry to wet, especially Abby. Even today, she refuses to eat wet food unless I sprinkle a bit of "kibble pepper" (ground-up kibble) on top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts