Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took in a new kitten a couple of wks ago. We estimate her to be around 9 wks old right now but she keeps playing with her clumps of urine..I clean the box twice a day I got a new box with higher sides and a dome lid and she still seems to be getting them out to bat them around the room...she has balls and mice galore, a scratching post and dangly toy a track ball with a mouse on a stick in the middle and I'm in the process of building her a cat tree...I play with her all the time and she has full run of my room and bathroom...I have no idea how to get her to stop...I try to redirect her attention when I catch her playing with one I'll tell her no and take her to one of her other toys but she is very intent on playing with her urine I actually saw her the other day urinate wait a few seconds then dig it out!!! So I do not think even cleaning it more often will help because she is way too smart!! Please HELP me!!!!

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
One way to get her to stop is to switch to non-clumping litter. Kittens have been known to "taste" the clumps in addition to playing with them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Agree with above. Clumping litter, especially clay-based is not good for kittens. Get a non-clumping, all natural litter. You may switch back once she grows older, if you really like the litter you currently use.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You could also look into the 'Breeze' litter system where the urine flows thru the pellets and open slots to a 'diaper' below. You can find it in certain pet stores on or Amazon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts