Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm usually grooming Marsh about once in 2-3 days, but last few days i'm combing a lot of loose hair off his tail.. i mean, it sometimes comes out in clumps. Is it the shedding season? I see no bold patches, the tail looks normal.. so what gives? He's 7 months, btw.

I should really take a pic of his tail for you guys, it's huge, sometimes i regret him having sooo much fur, it's a pain in my royal you know what to keep his groomed :p If any of you have Angoras, Rag Dolls, Himalayans, Main Coons... is it the same for you guys?

For once, i'm clueless ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ya know, around age 7-8 months my persian was shedding quite a bit from his tail during brushing sessions, with little clumps coming out as you mentioned, but that seems to have slowed down. He is 9 months old now, and it was pretty warm here a few months ago (as well as now) when that was going on so I don't know if it was age related or seasonal.

Your Marsh is soooooooooooooooo adorable. I actually had my sister come to this forum and look at pics of Marsh last time she was over! She Ooh'd and Ah'd over him (her?); she had never seen pics of a munchkin before.

When you get a chance, post pics of Marsh's fluffy tail!!
This is a funny age for them as far as their coats, isn't it? I keep wondering how much fluffier Windslow will get as he matures!!

I need to take recent pics, but here is a pic from a few months ago that sort of shows Windslow's foofer tail, although it's gotten fluffier in the last few months...

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
What a beautiful coat on your Persian!

Cats (and dogs) who are inside/outside pets will shed heavily when the seasons change also. However, when they are in the house more, they tend to shed more sporadically, not all at one time. Although I use to brush a whole other dog's worth of fur from my Collie, he would probably have had more coat to shed if he hadn't been kept in the house in bad weather, at night, and just to be with us.

My two cats are indoors only, and there is always some shedding, not a whole lot at once, but a little bit most of the time. I wouldn't let them out to regulate their shedding, however!

·
Registered
53 Posts
cat shedding

my cat is 7 months old 2 and lately on the sofas, blankets, i am seeing a lot of hair. i was told that it was the heat that what was making them shed hair. my cat doesnt seem to have any bald patches.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the problem with Marsh - stud tail. He had it right when he was 3 months and since it produces an oil spot on top of his tail, it also cause hair to be combed out at that spot as well.

Neuter seems to cure this in a lot of cats, but over time, so we're patiently waiting. We also wash his tail once in 2 weeks with dawn, to cut down on oily residue.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts