Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was one of those days...shorthanded, so I had to rush through my usual cage cleanings to get on to the next section because no one else was there to do it. Ankles chewed by my big DLH buddy, both shoes untied by the cat in the cage next to him, overcrowded cages with only the prospect of four more litters in foster coming in, too. I got beaned on the head many times by a DSH who liked my ponytail, and noticed a potentially major health issue with another as I was trying (unsuccessfully) to clean the poop off his butt...this guy now has me concerned. And watched sadly as one of my little one-eyed guys miscalculated and missed the shelf he was jumping for.

This morning, an acquaintance called me to ask if I'd enter a lost cat report on her adolescent, which I did, and cruised the new arrivals to see if he was there...but the wild animals are hungry these days and it doesn't look hopeful.

Finally, I got a cup of coffee and went to visit with my special cats. Played with the big DLH, who is really sweet when he's not trying to eat your shoes...think we've got him scheduled for a sedation and de-matting on our next vet day. Purred at a teensy little DLH girl who's been in the shelter since last year and is starting to look the worse for wear. Then on to the older DLH declaw who was dumped out in the dog kennels...her traveling companion has gone to a new home, but she was passed over. She's so skinny that I can count vertebrae easily, her eyes are goopy, and her coat is awful (and even so, she looks better than when she arrived). She's scheduled for some serious cheking-up on vet day, and has been just picking at her food (won't touch the cheap donated kibble, and doesn't seem to much like cheap wet food, either). Someone found a can of Wellness in the isolation ward, and she liked that, so I zipped home and grabbed a bunch of 3 oz Wellness and Innova cans that I had when I was first trying Assumpta on wet food...and grabbed a little baggie of Assumpta's Wellness dry, as well (miracle of miracles, my little declaw baby actually ate a little bit of it!). Mental note to go and buy some more canned Wellness for this kitty. But I don't think she's going to make it. She's so despondent over her life changes, and losing what was probably a lifelong companion...I don't know if she has the strength to come back from it. How can someone just dump a cat into a dog run in the middle of a rainy night and then just drive away? She's a sweet, loving cat that loves to cuddle, and I would bring her home in less than a nanosecond if only Assumpta wasn't so hostile with other cats. It's just such a waste.

And, when I got home, I got a phone call from another friend who finally had to put her 19 year old baby to sleep over the weekend. She always used to call me for advice on cat things, and I felt like I was intimately acquianted with this cat I never actually met.

In any case, it's been a thoroughly discouraging day in my little cat-world.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Gudewife, I don't think there is anything I can say to change the day you had or to make you feel any less frustrated with the many dealings you've had today.

I did just want to say that although you must be mentally and physically drained right now, you are doing a wonderful service for these animals and it takes someone with a great big heart to do the job you're doing.

You must have helped hundreds or thousands of cats by now and if all it takes is a little venting to help you make it through to tomorrow, by all means, update this thread daily and we'll all listen.

On behalf of the cats and myself, I just want to say thank you for what you're doing.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sounds like a rough day. Just wanted to reitterate what AddFran said: remember that you are doing something so unbelievably kind and unselfish! If it werent' for you, this kitty might not even be eating at all...

I admire the work you have been doing! It's such a wonderful thing.

G

·
0 Posts
THANK YOU for taking care of those kitties! I know today has been tough for you.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all...We're going to a friend's house for dinner tonight, and they've offered to make a big pitcher of strawberry daiquiris, which I'd ordinarily pass on, but tonight I could really use a drink, a game of cards, and some non-cat conversation (they are dog people who just lost their elderly to Westie last year)...maybe a night off will be good for my spirits.

I'm feeling a bit better anyhow, was just feeling really burnt when I got home this afternoon. Thanks for the kind words, they went a long way. :)

(especially considering that I have committed some horrible cat-crime and Assumpta is not speaking to me today :roll: )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts