Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have read short posts about my Heart cat Sherbert. How many of you think objects carry a part of someone after their death? Those of you who read about Sherbert knew he was a gentle soul who loved to baby my fosters. Well I have an interesting story..

Today I took my beagle Max to the vet to get his leg looked at. While there I saw looked in a crate and saw a pitiful looking calico hooked up to an IV, she was wrapped in Sherbert's Blanket. The very blanket he was wrapped in on his last trip to the vet. The very one I had made for him years ago.

While waiting for my vet to get time to look at my dog I sat and talked to 2 ladies that were there. One was the owner of the calico. Both were caretakers of a total of 4 feral colonies. My vet joined into the conversation a bit later, she said she had planned to send back the blanket, but that it had become the most used blanket she had. It seems the ferals loved it. ALL of them. It seemed to calm them and they accepted being handled easier when wrapped in it or laying on it. The calico that was on it came from one of the colonies, she had been dumped 3 days earlier and was in renal failure, she moved and figited on any other blanket but that one, which she stretched out on and took the IV. It must have been a sight to see me cry when I saw that blanket, I must have seemed crazy. But I am happy that something so simple as a blanket is bringing comfort to others. I think Sherbert would have liked that somehow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wow that's a beautiful story! Sherbert must have a connection to the blanket somehow after passing (I believe in this sort of thing if you don't then I probably sounds crazy, I may be)

He'd probably enjoy the fact that he is of some comfort to other cats through his blanket.

I know the story of your Sherbert. He was one amazing cat. It's just a beautiful connection to him and that blanket, I would have cried too! In fact I kind of want to cry just because of the story. Wow.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Wow that's a beautiful story! Sherbert must have a connection to the blanket somehow after passing (I believe in this sort of thing if you don't then I probably sounds crazy, I may be)

He'd probably enjoy the fact that he is of some comfort to other cats through his blanket.

I know the story of your Sherbert. He was one amazing cat. It's just a beautiful connection to him and that blanket, I would have cried too! In fact I kind of want to cry just because of the story. Wow.
^^^This.^^^

Wow, that just brought tears to my eyes.
Sherbert still bring comfort to less fortunate cats from beyond the grave.
^^^And this.^^^

Beautiful story, BB.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truthfully I had wondered what happened to that blanket. I know it's silly something like seeing a blanket can make a person cry, but it did. I told the Vet to keep it if she used it so often, it made me feel better that something as simple a comfort object as his blanket was helping others. The woman with the calico had offered to wash it and send it back, but looked relieved when I said no. It seems several of the ferals out of the colonies had used it over the last few months and it was becoming the go to blanket for calming the rougher sick ones. one of the colonies are having a few problems. there were 2 cats currently at the clinic positive for FIP and one positive for FELV as well as an assorted number in various stages of URIs, plus the one in renal failure (she is going indoors permanently since she was estimated at 13 years old). I had never seen so many crates of ferals stacked around the room. A group called SOS (Save our Strays) had helped trap them for treating.

I am actually considering making the vet a few more blankets to have on hand.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What a beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes too. I'm sure Sherbert is doing his magic through that blanket.

I have a box with Sun's stuff. But I haven't had the courage to open it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say I am sure it is the blanket that is calming the cats, but the people using it think so and are more relaxed. which in turn relaxes the cats. But hey if it works. I am thinking of making Gypsy one now though lol.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That story made my day. How wonderful. I wonder if Sherbert was sending a little "hello" to you today while working his magic, letting you know that the love you showed him and all of the other babies is touching others still. The best "thank-you" of all! :heart :heart :heart

1 - 9 of 9 Posts