Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lickorish has become quite the picky eater lately. She tends to sniff her food and walk away. I saw another thread where someone posted that they put some food on a spoon to get their kitty started eating (I tried to find it so I could give creds but no luck so far). I tried this trick with Lickorish with some success, but I had to gradually lead her back to the bowl and leave the spoon in the bowl. Its gotten to the point now, she sniffs her bowl, walks away, I put food on a spoon and offer it. She'll eat off the spoon, and if any drops on the floor, she licks that up, however, she won't go back and eat out of the bowl, I now have to stand there holding the spoon while she licks off the food! its the SAME FOOD! why won't she eat out of the bowl. its a nice wide shallow ceramic bowl with a cute design on it. :catmilk

If I don't get her to eat her food, then Squeek eats it all up. Squeek is growing chubbier by the day, while Lickorish is quite svelte, though not underweight at all.

any suggestions that don't involve me spending half hour spoon feeding a finicky kitty?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I second sakishna. Maybe you should try feeding her other brands. She might not like the brand you're feeding her.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
415 Posts
have you tried adding a little water so it's easier to lick up? Works for Miley, she used to take a couple bites and walk away. Now she eats most of her food before walking off and leaving the rest to her brother.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I do have several brands I rotate thru. I can try a different dish and adding water next.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
We stopped using bowls to feed our cats several years ago when I read that some cats don't like their whiskers touching the bowls and that it restricts their vision a bit. So we bought a couple of bread plates at Wal-mart - cheaper than cat bowls. And I put a placemat under the plate.
The cats drink water from the dog bowl - they are the first ones there when I change the water three times a day - and a shallow bowl we keep near their food.

We feed canned food twice a day, with around 10 pieces of dry food. If we had to leave suddenly, to go to ill parents for example, dry food could be left out until one of kids could come get them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts