Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor kitten still doesn't have a permanent name.
Currently she is Sambuka. I really liked the name but it doesn't seem to fit her. She is very sick and has been in the hospital for the past 2 days. I'm not sure if she'll get to come home today or not. But I really want to find a better name for her.
I've been looking for a name that means health or strength. But she's a pretty girl so I want a pretty name too.

Right now tops on my list is Althaea but I would love to hear other suggestions.
Here's a pic of her. She is so tiny since she's been so sick. She's currently 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did a search for you...and found something really cool!!!! It's information on Reiki (pronounced Ree-eek-ee, I believe), which is a Japanese term for a type of therapy used to promote healing and wellness through universal energy. Here's something from a web site I found:

"What is Reiki?

Dr. Usui said, “Our Reiki Ryoho is an original therapy, which is built upon the spiritual power of the universe.” A Reiki practitioner serves as a channel for the universal life energy and the practitioner’s hands transmit the energy to promote health and healing to oneself and others. The energy can be transmitted to people, pets, plants, and food with equal effectiveness."

Another Japanese word for "strength and power" is Chikara...which would also be a cool name.

Just some ideas! I hope your sweet baby is better soon!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
What a sweet little black kitty! I hope she gets to come home today. My very special black cat was Pixie, who had a tiiny bit of white under her chin and a very rough start in life too. Viva (vee-vah) means life in Italian. Or you could name her after a goddess; Athena or Venus would be nice. She's going to be an elegant cat. Satin, Silky, or Velvet would also be nice, and describe the way her beautiful black coat will feel. By any name, she'll be special, I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know if Chakra is the same as Chikara, I know it from the health and massage section and so on. We pronounce the "cha" it like the first part of "Shakira".

Another suggestion would be "Hatha", from Hatha Yoga. As far as I know Hatha means "breath" and "life, health and energy trough breath".

I think it is a very good idea to give your kitty such a helpful name. And I hope that she will soon get better and grow to a healthy and strong cat!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I thought Pixel would be a nice name. But then I'm living in the graphics world and pixel is sort of a little black dot (well mostly - they come in all colors). So why not a little black dot, Pixel? :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What about Chloe or Phoebe? I really like both of them. I'll check back if I think of anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's something else coming in my mind: Smilla. I don't know if you have read the book "Smilla's sense of snow", as the person's charakter is not so well developped in the film (to my humble opinion :wink:). We gave our Smilla this name because when we got her, she was only 8 weeks old and a very tiny and fragile looking thing, abandoned from her (streetcat) mother. As the book Smilla is also a seemingly fragile and small lady who has an enormous will and strength within, we gave her that name.
If it has anything to do with it at all, she really lived to it - with 6 years, she is today the queen of the cats around here, strong, healthy, very self-confident. But she loves cuddling very much, too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I loved them all but I decided to stick with Althaea. Here's a little caption that I found on her.

'Althaea' means 'Great Goddess' or 'to cure' from the Greek name for the marshmallow. It has beneficient effects on the respiratory, urinary, and intestinal tract, and eases inflammation. Apparently Althaea could save or take life at will, and may have been an underworld judge of the dead.

I really appreciate your suggestions. I always like to try out lots of names until I find one that seems perfect for them. :)

I haven't hurt from the hospital yet as to when she can come home or how she's doing today. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks!
Deirdre

·
Registered
137 Posts
Please keep us posted on little Althaea...I love that name too!

I'm sure once she returns home with you, she'll get stronger and a bit bigger everyday!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Congrats to Althaea and her new name -- I hope she gets well very soon. And I think it's cute that you named her Sambuka originally -- someone on this forum used that name for their bengal cat, and they just made the name up I believe. I hope Sambuka's owner sees this thread!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I changed the title of my post so people won't get confused :)

I named her Althaea. I posted an update on her in the health section. she's still in the hospital but hopefully she'll be home tmw.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts