Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
awwwww she has been to the hairdresser's & she look's beautiful bless her I love the pompom on the end of her tail :)

is it very hot where you are??

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
oh my! she's nekkid! ha ha!

did you shave her because it's so hot in the summer or was there matted hair or something? or is this just a fashion statement? just wondering. :grin:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late reply!

did you shave her because it's so hot in the summer or was there matted hair or something?
is it very hot where you are??
I've got to ask - why?
Yes. It was over 40 this last week (over 100 F), and we have no air conditioning. Since we were going out of town for the weekend I got her shaved to cool her off (originally she was just going in for the potty patch to make life easier for the sitter).

I love her big fuzzy front legs. My partner's been calling her "Popeye" :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good grief. She has a right to be mad at you.

You live in Canada. Don't shave your cat to keep it cool.

I should have just moved along without saying anything, but sheesh. A potty patch, too? When you want her to sleep do you also hit her in the head with a brick? Tough love from you, I spose.

:flame Sorry to flame..... kinda. :dis

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Oh! Poor, poor Io... Jacq, I'm warning you, if Planet Meow take over Planet Earth (it will happen, according to my cats), you will NOT be spared! :twisted:

Keep her favorite food coming (Weruva, if I remember correctly?) until her beautiful fur grows back! :yellbounce

·
Registered
26 Posts
Their coats help keep them cool. You just took away her internal A/C. :( I'm in Canada too, and the other day we hit 40 C, but due to humidity it felt like 45 C according to the weather man. (For the americans in the room, that's 104 F and felt like 113 F.)

I have 6 cats with big, fluffy coats. They were all basking in the sunbeams, and when they got too hot, they moved under the bed, or to the basement where it's cool. They'd be back within an hour to bask again.

Point is, it's not necessary or even good for her to shave her like that.

A pet's coat is designed by nature to keep it cool during the summer and warm in the winter. By shaving your pet you usually interfere with this built-in temperature regulation.
Cats, in particular, are very good at regulating body temperature and "really get no benefit from being shaved," says Mark J. Stickney, DVM, clinical associate professor and director of general surgery services at Texas A&M University's veterinary medical teaching hospital.
Because cats are "so much smaller relative to their exposed surface area, they're just better at getting rid of extra body heat," Stickney tells WebMD.
Cats are also almost always more mobile than dogs, so they can simply move to a shadier spot when temperatures rise.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We're in a one-bedroom apt, and with the construction outside our balcony is bolted shut and ours windows were papered over. There simply wasn't anywhere cool for her to escape to. The day before her groomer's appointment, she was a kitty puddle on the lino - panting like a dog, drooling, and constantly grooming herself (my partner said her eyes were glassy, but I didn't see that part). The intertubes said those were signs of overheating, and she perked up after we rubbed her with cool water and put some ice scubes in her water dish so she could dip her feeties.

Since she was going anyways for the potty patch (Which is shaving around the anus and back legs to prevent mess and dingleberries, Arianwen), we chose to do the full lion cut, figuring every little bit helps when we're not there to watch her and put ice in the water dish.

Rascaljade, how is a fur pelt an "internal A/C"? I ask because, last I checked, most of her fur (hairballs excluded) was on the outside. ;) I also don't where "Getting no benefit from being shaved" becomes "It's not... good for her to shave her like that."

The good news is, she didn't die. :yellbounce
And I, for one, welcome our new kitteh overlords from Planet Meow

But hey, let's pretend she had mats if it will magically change people's opinions on how terrible and horrible and cruel an owner I am ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
We're in a one-bedroom apt, and with the construction outside our balcony is bolted shut and ours windows were papered over.
I have to say, you got a very stupid apartment manager who thinks its a good idea to do balcony rennovation during this season. And how did you and your partner manage to survive?!

The day before her groomer's appointment, she was a kitty puddle on the lino
My Metoo wants to send a headbutt and message to Io: Been there, completely feel your pain!

Just being curious:
1) Does Io still groom her body when there is no fur to groom?
2) Do cats sweat? I couldn't tell with my cats with all those fur :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would think that perhaps cats are like (some?) people and take a few days to adjust to seasonal weather change; cool to hot, hot to cool. She would have adjusted, but I see no harm done.

I've just done a search for 'do cats sweat' (try it). They do through their feet apparently, but keep their bodies cool by saliva bathing. Therefore, it may be better for them shaved, or maybe not. Does more damp fur translate into a greater cooling effect?

Lots of clean water available is part of the answer. Zenobi, and now Missy lie on their backs and spread their body to expose a large amount of abdomen. I always saw/see this as a coolng method.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks NJGroomer. I was pretty sure shaving a cat wasn't animal cruelty, but you never know sometimes ;)

I have to say, you got a very stupid apartment manager who thinks its a good idea to do balcony rennovation during this season. And how did you and your partner manage to survive?!
No argument here. This construction company's the worst - it was all supposed to be done August 2011, but it seems like they've been dragging their feet over every little thing. (For example, our windows were papered for almost two weeks. To paint a single wall of the building.)

Andrew and I have been going swimming a lot. And lots of iced coffee. ;)

My Metoo wants to send a headbutt and message to Io: Been there, completely feel your pain!

Just being curious:
1) Does Io still groom her body when there is no fur to groom?
2) Do cats sweat? I couldn't tell with my cats with all those fur :D
1) She still grooms the shaved parts, but not as vigorously. It's cute seeing her spend extra time on her puff tail.

2We haven't seen her sweat, but the panting and drooling stopped with the lion cut. Jusjim is right. When she was acting really badly before we read online and dipped her feet in cool water and it seemed to make her feel better (and she started doing it on her own).

Maybe Io's overheating was karma for my "cleanup on sill #4" joke :)

I'm glad Alice enjoyed the heat, GhostTown. She probably found a nice shady bush to sleep under and enjoy the fresh air, and maybe the breeze to. Io never goes outside so didn't have those options open to her. :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Maybe Io's overheating was karma for my "cleanup on sill #4" joke
Now that you mentioned... Yes! You & your partner being stuck in an apartment without window and balcony is definitely karma's work! Though Io is collateral damage :lol:

I've just done a search for 'do cats sweat' (try it). They do through their feet apparently, but keep their bodies cool by saliva bathing.
Yep, I heard about that theory too. But even in the hot days when I touch my cats paws, I don't feel they are sweaty...

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I should just make sure she doesn't know how to use hair clippers... You might wake up one morning with half an eyebrow and a mullet....

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that you mention it, my cat's paws have never felt damp/sweaty before either. Except when she's playing in the water dish :catmilk

has she forgiven you yet?? :)
Lol Yeah, I think she's over it, and just letting it all hang out now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts