Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tigger just spent three days and two nights at his new vet for breathing problems and a fever. I took him home Monday and brought him back today for another antibiotic shot. The front desk person said she would have my bill ready for me this morning.
I was prepared to pay a lot and was thinking somewhere around $600. It didn’t matter. Tigger was on the mend and I would have paid anything for that.

This was a new vet for me. I needed a second opinion because Tigger was getting worse.

He had an exam, complete bloodwork, x-rays, meds and antibiotic injections. His weekend stay included monitoring, temperature, feeding and meds. I received phone calls from the vet twice daily. That alone impressed me. She said she would call and she called. Try getting an MD to do that.
Counting this morning, I had three sessions with the vet.

Here is the bill:

Clavamox 30.57
Blood work 45.
Exam 45
3 Baytril injections 18.50
x-rays 56.

Total $195.07

There was no charge for boarding and monitoring. All this in a friendly, spacious, sparkling clean, new facility. With resident cats that greet you in the waiting room.

I now have a new vet for all seven of my cats.
Seriously - wow.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow!! I had nearly the same bill for my cat for just an exam, chest xray, antibiotic and steroid to reduce lung issues. And all that happened in one quick visit!

This vet is definitely a keeper. I'm envious!!

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
I'm envious too, when I took Samantha in I had to pay a $100 emergency fee and when they set me too another associated facility I had to pay that fee again.
Total for my 6 hour nightmare was $1300 and a dead best friend.
Later when I changed my mind about cremation of Samantha remains I called and they quoted me $190, the company that I used that was closer to my home charged me $145.
Now I would have paid any price to save my beloved Samantha and it's a terrible thing that money get into the equation.
My only alternative was extensive surgery, I sure it would have cost thousands of dollars to buy my 16 year old baby a little more time, I lost my Mom to cancer at 76 and after the surgery she was much worse off the before.
I couldn't could bear to put Samantha through that.
I'm glad Tigger is doing better.

·
Banned
948 Posts
That's what I paid for my last visit for the girls for checkup and shots. How far is Hudson NY from Massachusetts????:)
I'm with you, Princess! Maybe there's a road trip in our future, eh? LOL!

Seriously, Greenport, that is an amazing bill and shows you have the very best kind of vet. You are extraordinarily lucky to have found her!!!!

AC

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I paid for my last visit for the girls for checkup and shots. How far is Hudson NY from Massachusetts????:)
I see you live in Hudson, MA. :p
According to Mapquest, from Hudson, MA to Hudson, NY:

I-90 W2 hrs 37 mins / 144.32 miles
I-84 W3 hrs 40 mins / 157.02 miles

This vet is destined for a lot of business from me. When I was there this morning I asked her if she could deal with a very feral cat who had a leg injury. She said, "Trap him and bring him in as soon as you can."

All the stars must have been in place. I drove to my barn, set the trap upstairs where the injured cat usually eats and called them all in to eat. Five minutes later the trap went off and I had Stubby, the young injured male. Two other cats were upstairs with him, and I had the luck to catch Stubby.

He's at the vet now and can get the treatment he needs.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...Now I would have paid any price to save my beloved Samantha and it's a terrible thing that money get into the equation...
I'm glad Tigger is doing better.
Yes, it is a terrible thing that money gets into the equation. You are so right. I am very sorry about Samantha. We get so emotional about our pets that no expense is too much. We would do anything. But it is a slap in the face to be charged excessively when our pets are in crisis.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
When I took Sinatra in a few weeks ago for a check-up, shots and meds it cost me about that. What a wonderful, animal loving human!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What a great find (and glad to hear your kitty's fine)! My vet's prices are actually pretty similar. I had to leave Pumpkin overnight for observation once (cat only vet with special heated 2-section cat "cages"...more like a condo) and I was only charged $18. Not the same as free, but I was pretty impressed! Vet visit fees are mostly comprised of medication costs; I haven't been in a while but I think the actual consultation was only $10 or $15. I would have expected a mark-up for your area compared to mine though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I accidentally ran over my elderly cat's leg as I pulled into my garage. I rushed her to my vet's office (it was closing time, but he waited for me).
He did the examination, Xrays, surgical repair (tibia and fibula broken) and external fixator with 5 pins, anesthesia, all medicines and kept her 3 nights and the bill was under $600.
I take her in 2X a week to have the bandages changed and it is $15 each time.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I accidentally ran over my elderly cat's leg as I pulled into my garage. I rushed her to my vet's office (it was closing time, but he waited for me).
He did the examination, Xrays, surgical repair (tibia and fibula broken) and external fixator with 5 pins, anesthesia, all medicines and kept her 3 nights and the bill was under $600.
I take her in 2X a week to have the bandages changed and it is $15 each time.
Great vet!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is why I said i have an awesome vet. Took my Sherbert in when he just was looking kind run down.. walk in office visit. full exam, blood work, shot of pennicilin, vitamin B shot, 2 saline injections to flush his system. a weeks supply of one antibiotic, 10 days of another. and a follow up with blood work.. $56..

got to love Great vets who make it affordable..

costs $4 at wal mart just to get the Amoxil..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tigger just spent three days and two nights at his new vet for breathing problems and a fever. I took him home Monday and brought him back today for another antibiotic shot. The front desk person said she would have my bill ready for me this morning.
I was prepared to pay a lot and was thinking somewhere around $600. It didn’t matter. Tigger was on the mend and I would have paid anything for that.

This was a new vet for me. I needed a second opinion because Tigger was getting worse.

He had an exam, complete bloodwork, x-rays, meds and antibiotic injections. His weekend stay included monitoring, temperature, feeding and meds. I received phone calls from the vet twice daily. That alone impressed me. She said she would call and she called. Try getting an MD to do that.
Counting this morning, I had three sessions with the vet.

Here is the bill:

Clavamox 30.57
Blood work 45.
Exam 45
3 Baytril injections 18.50
x-rays 56.

Total $195.07

There was no charge for boarding and monitoring. All this in a friendly, spacious, sparkling clean, new facility. With resident cats that greet you in the waiting room.

I now have a new vet for all seven of my cats.
Seriously - wow.
that is cheap....i had my siamese cat at the vet a couple months ago, thought he might have something wrong with one of his front legs after he tried swaping a fly and hit his leg against the door.....the x-rams for his 2 front legs were $156, the vet bill $56, and a shot $40

1 - 20 of 24 Posts