Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current digital camera is big and bulky - it's okay, but now it has a problem that would cost more to fix than it is worth to me. What do you all use and/or reccomend. I want something with a few options beyond the standard point and click - I like photography but would certainly not call myself "advanced", still I am a little beyond beginner. Also, it needs to have at least 3X optical zoom - don't care a hoot about digital zoom.

Please post your experience, including likes/dislikes, mega pixels, battery drainage, etc. Also, post where you got it and relative price ... :lol: Hope I'm not asking too much, but I'd like an honest opinion from real users.

Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700, the same one as Petra but I don't take as good of shots as she does. It does horribe indoor shots (low lighting is not its strong suit)...zooms in and out wasting battery life so I would not recommend my camera. I used to have a smaller one and it took forever for the shutter to capture the picture and I went to Alaska with my husband and of course missed all the whales coming up out of the water because the stupid camera was so bleeping slow.

So, to me the number one thing of course is speed in capturing the photo, battery life, and photo quality INDOOR and out. My 5700 takes beautiful outdoor photos but of course I'm not always outside taking photos. My current SLR is an EOS Rebel (don't use at all now because of my digital though) so if I were to look into another digital camera I would probably look into getting an EOS digital. My EOS is very user friendly.

Here's a cool website that I've saved in my favorites and I'm sure you'll appreciate! :wink:

Click on either the camera, car or pda icon on the right and it will advise you of the best choices for your preferences.
:arrow: http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/home.do

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting - looks like I'm looking for a fairly high-end camera :lol: . Thanks! Great site!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I found five cameras with the fastest shutter speeds ranging in price from $389 to $849 for my preferences anyway - quite a range. I got mine off e-bay last Christmas. Mack Cameras - it was a package deal (and a good one).

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, fast shutter speed should have been mentioned in my original post - I take lots of candids of kids - and you can imagine how long they stay still waiting for the camera to go off! (I work at a preschool - I'm not just a weirdo!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found one for under $100 at walmart it is the Kodak Easy Share 7300. It is a awesome lil fellow!!!!!

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
:cry: I don't have one. :( But my ship might still come in! :)

cwuan, that sounds like a good price. It's much lower than most I see advertised. Maybe there is still hope! :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeanie, are you looking for a basic digital? (Hint, hint; I've yet to see a picture of your feline babies.) You can find them at a good price, if you're just looking for something simple that'll give you photos to post. You can find them around $50 sometimes - usually you just can't get a good resolution over 12 X 16 inches, but they'll do well for sharing over the internet, or printing 4 X 6's, even up to 8 X 10's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a sony cyber shot. It has 4.1 effectie meag pixels,3x optical zoom and 6x precision digital zoom, manual exposure, scene selection, conversion lens compatible, mpeg movie, and rechargable batteries!!!
Great Camera!! I just got it for my b-day. It will run you about $300.00. I love it.... I'm so excited!

Good luck!!

·
Banned
613 Posts
Canon Powershot A75 would be good for you. Also a Fuji S5100. They cost between 200 to 400 dollars.
The Canon Powershot A-series have more options than just point-and-shoot, and the Fuji S5100 has 10x optical zoom and a lot of manual features.

My boyfriend is a photographer and these are what he would recommend for you.

--Roze

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the Canon A-75, and really like it. You can set it to point and shoot, or you can play with most of the feautures. Once you get used to playing, you can get some really wonderful effects - but the point and shoot is super easy to use and looks great too....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts