Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my neighbors have an outside kitten.. the same one i introduced in the meet Bailey post... Bailey is now a month?? or about older. is still an outside cat.

Sooo the rant is... WHY the heck get a kitten who is now about 16 weeks old, leave it outside. WHILE you go out of state and NOT have anyone coming by to feed it!!!! this kitten has never hunted, has no instinct or urge to hunt as far as I can tell... was born indoors so was not taught to hunt....

Now I don't know why they went out of state. could be for a vacation, could be for a family emergency... but how hard is it to ask someone to feed the cat?? My kids have been coming in daily for 3 days now, saying Bailey is at the door, she needs food....

ok done ranting.. nothing to see here.. go on about your day.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would but she is one of my son's teachers of all things.. and kids would say something....

But its going to rain later and she has all these packages that were delivered. I am sooo going to watch them get ruined on her uncovered porch..

Which BTW I learned from my cats....

·
Registered
56 Posts
good move. and if you should just happen to mention this predicament to a friend who just happened to drive by while the kids were asleep....
No, i'm not usually this devious. only when it comes to starving kitties.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only when it comes to starving kitties.
Yeah I am an enabler.. Bailey's been getting my backup stash of wet food. But what can I do.. tell my kids, who I have been raising to take care of our pets. that a hungry kitten "is not our problem"? And that is fine to just look away and hope for the best... <sigh> I am a sucker for the furballs I know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I am an enabler.. Bailey's been getting my backup stash of wet food. But what can I do.. tell my kids, who I have been raising to take care of our pets. that a hungry kitten "is not our problem"? And that is fine to just look away and hope for the best... <sigh> I am a sucker for the furballs I know.
I think it makes you a warm and caring person for doing that.

I like the way D'Lynn thinks ;)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Screw that, I'd call animal welfare on her. tell them she's left a young kitten outside while they left town and there's no food or water. Let them cite her and take the cat from her.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfortunately there are no laws about outside cats wandering, ect. she isn't caged and can seek shelter. And all they have to say is "someone was supposed to come by..." but there is also nothing saying that outside cats cannot be picked up either. she is not collared, not microchipped and not spayed.. so for all anyone knows she could be a stray. And for all I know it could have been a family emergency and she could have asked someone.. but I doubt it.

and here is the link if you want to see cute kitten pics :D

http://www.catforum.com/forum/41-meet-my-kitty/143302-meet-bailey.html

oh yes and animal control is over run with cats at the moment.. or thats what they said...

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
How long are they going to be gone? I'd bring Bailey in for the time that they're gone so that she can at least have some kind of shelter. And so what if this is one of your son's teachers? She's obviously not a very good one judging by her actions with Bailey. She does NOT deserve to have any pets, especially a small kitten.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, exactly... and if you are worried about the consequences you would have with your neighbor, just call anonymously...
nope would not be worried about those at all... not much of a people person.. I can handle it.. but my youngest is in one of her classes and no need of him dealing with it.

Heck I didn't even know she was gone til my other neighbor said she went to tennessee the other day... and I don't know when she will be back. I would take her in but she currently perfers my dogs doghouse on my porch too my 4 cats.

·
Banned
948 Posts
This is disgusting and constitutes animal cruelty in my book. A kitten? Removed from it's indoor home and dumped outside in an unfamiliar location to fend for itself?

Cruelty, plain and simple.

Under no circumstances would I be able to stand by and watch this happen. That poor little kitten would most definitely be finding itself a new home, like, yesterday. (And I did lots of things my kids didn't know about while they were growing up).

AC

·
Registered
119 Posts
I experienced a similar situation, with someone telling me she was going out of town for the Christmas holidays and I asked who was coming to care for the dog and cat and she said, "Oh, they hunt" (this might be why a previous dog they owned was shot by a neighbor for going after his goats)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update.

neighbors are still out of town. Bailey has officially moved into the kitten room. She will be vetted next week and already has a forever home waiting. A guy i know living 3 hours away will be driving to pick her up in two weeks. He lost his cat several years ago but came to visit me for my Birthday and fell in love with her and is ready for a companion. She will be a indoors cat.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quick update.

neighbors are still out of town. Bailey has officially moved into the kitten room. She will be vetted next week and already has a forever home waiting. A guy i know living 3 hours away will be driving to pick her up in two weeks. He lost his cat several years ago but came to visit me for my Birthday and fell in love with her and is ready for a companion. She will be a indoors cat.
Awww that's wonderful news. I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago and was wondering what was going on!

Thank you for finding her a loving home :)

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Quick update.

And have put in writing that he will NEVER dump her outside if he goes away for a trip. HECK, get him to join Cat Forum so we can all see updates on Bailey. :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts