Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeanie's "Lost" thread got me thinking about something we were discussing here last night. Why is it that TV seasons have become so shortened compared to, say, 25 years ago? I remember as a kid when the new stuff started either the last week of August or first week of September and continued with all-new programming (with the exception of Thanksgiving through New Year) until the last week in May.

Every night lately as the kids are going to sleep I tell hubby "Gee, I hope there were new shows on tonight" (we DVR everything) but ever since the first part of December all shows have been a repeats with the exception of a few scattered shows here and there. Here's another weird thing. I was able to scan ahead to next week's programming and found that CBS is repeated on Monday with all-new shows Tuesday through Friday. FINALLY! However, what's up with Mondays? I happen to like the Monday comedy lineup and there've only been a few new ones aired this year. Things have been just about as bad this year as they were last year with the strike.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
TV is the reason I read books.
I became very jaded with the networks introducing a slew of new shows every season and then cancelling almost every single one I liked to watch, so I just gave up on TV entirely in 2001. I will make an effort to catch specific cable shows, reality-type, not serial drama/comedy stories; What Not To Wear, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Time Warped, Ice Road Truckers, Jon&Kate+8 and Little People, Big World. I find I like not being tied to my TV, though I am happy we don't have a DVR, because then I could see myself getting caught up in the same cycle I was in before I "got mad and left TV".
...now I need to break away from the computer! :lol:
h

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeanie said:
It's disgusting, Jo! The shortened season is how I began to watch "House," despite his arrogant, supercilious manner!
You know, I heard all the rave about House a few years ago so I decided to put it on the DVR. After the first episode, I just couldn't take his attitude and I've never watched it since.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm with Heidi.... Books are wonderful! My mother in law got me hooked on Desperate Housewives when it started, and since then I've refused to get attached to any new shows. The December/January break drives me nuts, but after a few weeks I start realizing I don't miss the shows all that much, and once summer arrives I feel free with knowing there aren't any new shows!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually this is something that came up in conversation between me and a freind earlier. We watched the first season of Heroes during the summer, like two summers ago. Then we watched Season 2 every monday, right up untill the stupid writers strike (I understand what it was for, just heh, I missed some TV!) But now, they cut out what could have been like five or six episodes to wait around for the superbowl.

When I was younger shows had like, 24-26 or so episodes per season, but now, it looks like 13 is like the average number.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I must not be as old as I thought, becasue I always remember there being a break for Decemeber. So we can watch all of the X-Mas specials, then football takes over for a while, then boom, shows are back!

I enjoy the break, and heck I only watch Lost and Heroes.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
I think maybe perceptions are skewed because there isn't really any set 'season' these days like there used to be. Networks split the season with shows not starting until Jan, lots of mid season replacements etc. I did a little research and looking back at shows like All in the Family and Mash, they seemed to range from 22-25 episodes a season. Not counting last year, Desperate Housewives has had 23 or 24 episodes each season, ER has averaged 22-23. So not very different.

What I think is easier to do these days is cancel new shows or questionable second season shows during mid-season. Years ago, they were pretty much committed to a show for an entire season because it took much longer from start to finish to make a show. But these days with computerized editing and electronic distribution it can be done much quicker. So they tend to only order 13 episodes of a new show and if doesn't do well kick it to the curb and go on to the next one.

December was always a dead month for TV. There will always be new shows on in Nov, Feb & May...those are sweeps months, it's the times when ratings establish advertising rates for shows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts