Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have two wonderful 5-year-old boys that grew up together. Looking ahead, I worry that either one will be lonely when the other goes, so I would like to introduce a younger cat, so there can always be another cat there. However, the alpha Bandit can be a bully to Chase and rough houses with him. Will a younger cat deflect some of that behavior or make it worse? Would love your thoughts! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Does Chase object to the roughhousing? It isn't necessarily bullying to play rough, our little female cat is always teasing our big male into wrestling matches. If Chase doesn't seem to like it, you could wear off some of Bandit's energy by playing with him.
Honestly five years old is still pretty young in cat terms. It's not unusual for cats to live to 20 or more these days. It's quite possible that Bandit is just taking a bit longer to mature and is a bit more kittenish than Chase.
However, if you do want to see how they'd do with another cat, one way you could test their feelings about it is to offer to foster one for a local foster rescue. They'd advise you on the best way to introduce the newcomer. If it didn't work out, you could foster a different cat or go back to having two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bandit will bite the nape of Chase's neck and drag him. It looks like a jealousy or domination thing. The roughhousing I think is mutual. But fostering is a great idea! Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts