Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little kittie is the only cat we have and the only cat we are going to have! She is an inside only. Should we even bother? I know its a big thing but she will never get a chance to go outside. Once again just want some different input.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Definitely! As well as you think you have her locked in, being in heat will drive her to find any way out possibke. It will also attract all of your local tomcats you will be trying to sneak in. Finally, spaying lowers her risk of certain types of cancers and provides relief from the insanity of a heat.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just wanted to add that unspayed females can spray!! And they are very annoying when in heat, yowling and carrying on.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think that most vets recommend 6 months... that's when Clover was spayed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I would guess she is about 3 months I will not no till I make a vet appt. The reason for that is my aunt found her a a truck stop She was real sick. But lucky for my cat my aunt used to be a vet!!! So my aunt kept her till she was well and called me and asked me if I wanted her!! Now we Love her we have not had her that long. I mean when we got her she did not even have all her teeth!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most people will say wait until 6 months but it can be done much earlier. The humane society here does it at 8 weeks so that all kittens will be fixed before adoption. Three of my four were adopted from there so they were fixed VERY young and I haven't had any problems. I forget what age Dr. Jean recommends...I'm sure she'll see this and respond ASAP.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The vet will be able to estimate her age based on her teeth, I believe.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sometime between 4-6 months is fine.

Your vet should be able to tell her age pretty well by her size, development and, of course, teeth.

Another reason to spay is to prevent a uterine infection, called pyometra, that can occur when a cat comes into heat but is not bred. It is very serious, indeed it can be life-threatening!

So yes, you will all be happier and healthier if she is spayed!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts