Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 male kittens that are 18 weeks old as of today. Before we got them we planned there age around our tax return to make sure we had the money to get them both neutered as soon as they were old enough to hopefully prevent them from spraying at all. So we got our tax return last week and I went to book there appointments but it turns out there is a months waiting time just for a call back! Once they call me with my appointment date I have no idea if it will be right away or if I still have to wait even longer for the actual appointment. So the cats will be right around 6 months (hopefully not any older) by the time they get neutered.
Should I be worried that they are going to start marking there territory?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello.
I'm not expert but here's my experience. When I adopted Orry from the Humane Society he was only 8 weeks old. They had me sign a document to agree to have him neutered by February which by then would have made him 6 months old. Although I had Orry neutered at 4 months (20 weeks) I think you have time before they would start spray marking. I know they start spraying after reaching sexual maturity which I think can happen between 5 to 12 months old. If I'm not correct I hope someone corrects my error. But by all means, go ahead and make the appointment and keep calling back to see if anyone else has canceled and you can get the appointment sooner.
Lucy:blackcat

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Where do you live? If you feel ok giving that info. Normally you should get a cat neutered by the time they are 3 lbs. If they are spraying is not good. They may continue to do this after they are neutered. Habit! it takes a month for the testosterone to get out of their system also. Does your city have a low cost spay neuter clinic or a humane society that does s/n? Get them in as soon as possible. In the US 6 months is a late date for having s/n done.

Make sure you clean up all sprayed areas with Nature Miracle or a product designed to break down the enzymes of the cat urine. Otherwise cats can smell a marked area and continue to use that area to pee and mark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you live? If you feel ok giving that info. Normally you should get a cat neutered by the time they are 3 lbs. If they are spraying is not good. They may continue to do this after they are neutered. Habit! it takes a month for the testosterone to get out of their system also. Does your city have a low cost spay neuter clinic or a humane society that does s/n? Get them in as soon as possible. In the US 6 months is a late date for having s/n done.

Make sure you clean up all sprayed areas with Nature Miracle or a product designed to break down the enzymes of the cat urine. Otherwise cats can smell a marked area and continue to use that area to pee and mark.
I am in Ontario Canada. Both cats are already 5lbs. I live in a small town and they only offer a low cost s/n clinic once a year so its still quite far away. The place I'm going to starts neutering at 4 months so it coincided with our tax return perfectly. If I had of known it was such a long wait list, i would have made the appointment when we 1st got them!

·
Registered
336 Posts
There really is no answer, things can be complicated as there's more than one intact cat involved so one or both could feel the need to mark their territory.
It can take up to 2 months for the hormones to settle after neutering too.

Since you can't change your appointment you'll just have to take the chance. Many cats don't spray waiting until 6 months but there's always a chance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.