Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats - Cami and Tiger. Cami is 8, Tiger is 4. Cami has had a few issues with crystals in her urine and was finally given a prescription food to help with that issue. It has worked. Since I've been feeding it to Cami, I've also been giving it to Tiger - for simplicity reasons. My question, if Cami leaves us before Tiger, should I continue to feed Tiger this food, since he's used to it and it could probably prevent crystals? He is male and I've heard male cats have more problems with this sort of thing. I was just wondering what everyone thought. Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those prescription diets are low quality, species-inappropriate foods. I'd opt to feed the cat a grain free, meat based wet food mixed with a little water instead. Species- appropriate ingredients and moisture will probably prevent crystals better than medicated food, in my opinion. A water fountain can also help the cat obtain necessary moisture to keep everything flushed out and healthy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a water fountain for the cats but that didn't prevent her crystals. Also, Cami is such a fussy eater. She refuses to eat wet food so I don't think wet food would be the best option for her. Now Tiger would eat the wet food. Maybe I'll just go that route with him...although he does get a bit mouthy when I give him wet food. lol He wants more and more and more. My little piggy. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have I tried it with either cat? Tiger will eat anything. Cami doesn't like any human food. She might lick on chicken lunch meat but she won't eat it. If you get any of our food near her, she tries to bury it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Do you free feed the dry? If yes, then that's why she won't eat the canned when you offer it. She needs to be hungry when presented with the canned food.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do just fill up a dish and let them have it whenever. I had thought that might be the problem but wasn't sure since Tiger will eat anything. I just assumed she was picky by comparison to him. I'll have to try that out to see if she'll work with me. Thanks for the tip! :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sienna's former owner told me that she refused to eat canned food. It only took a week of persistence and she switched over totally. I know that some are more resistant, but it can be done with a lot of patience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I have some converting to do! Thank you so much for the info!
My next question: is there a preferred wet cat food brand?

·
Registered
978 Posts
There are many good brands of wet food. I would go for high protein, low carb grain-free foods. You have EVO 95%, Merrick BG, Wellness CORE, Petcurean Go! Fit + Free, and many others.

If your can't just absolutely won't eat wet even after trying everything imaginable, I would suggest Petcurean Go! Fit + Free, Orijen Cat & Kitten, Wellness CORE, or EVO dry food.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your can't just absolutely won't eat wet even after trying everything imaginable, I would suggest Petcurean Go! Fit + Free, Orijen Cat & Kitten, Wellness CORE, or EVO dry food.
Are those brands good for urine crystal problems?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Are those brands good for urine crystal problems?
I'm not going to suggest dry food at all for urinary issues. I'd bet that 99% of them probably stem from not enough water. Dry food is 10% moisture. Wet food is usually around 80%. These brands are just what I consider to be the top dry foods. They're a lot better than the grocery store and prescription junk. The urinary prescription diets contain lower amounts of minerals usually but you're also feeding your cat mostly corn, rice, etc which is not species appropriate at all.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Look for something with high protein and low carbs; the site that hoofmaiden posted by Dr. Pierson has some charts to help with that. Grain-free is preferable too. EVO makes decent grain-free food in big cans (13.2 oz) that makes it less expensive. Wellness also makes some (look for a yellow triangle on the can) in bigger cans as well (I think 12 oz), though they are not quite as inexpensive as EVO. Those are my two preferred brands. I'd try to avoid buying anything in 3 oz cans, as the smaller the can, the higher the cost of food per oz. There are other good brands but they only come in 5.5-6 oz cans, so also more cost per oz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts