Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is 4 months old now and when I got him from the shelter, the recommended I free feed dry food and give 1/4th can (1tbsp) of wet food once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Initially, when I adopted him at 2months, his dry food (a fist and a half full) would last until night-time, but now it finishes by 2pm. What should I do? Should I put more food in the bowl or start a regime? Or just keep going as is? He's pretty hungry by night time so I feel bad...

(I feed Wellness brand).

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would stop feeding dry and feed wet exclusively. Dry food is addictive and once they start eating it, it's hard to get them to stop. Wet food is better for urinary health. There sticky threads in this forum that explain why wet is better than dry.

Kittens can be fed as much as they want. They're not at risk for becoming overweight and they need to grow.

·
Registered
804 Posts
How much weight has he gained since you got him and what does he weigh now? Average is a pound a month so 4-ish pounds is the target. I give my kittens as much wet food as they want 3-4 times a day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He used to be a little under 3lbs, but now I think he's around 4-5 lbs...so should I increase the dry food?

·
Registered
779 Posts
My two kittens are almonst 3.5 months old and they eat between 6 and 9 oz of wet food a day total (so 3-4.5 oz each) and about .75 cup of dry food a day total. It might seem like a lot of food for such a small animal, but kittens sure can eat!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sounds like he's on target then! My kittens eat between 8-11 oz of wet a day (no idea where they put it in their little bodies!), so up to two 5.5 oz cans of wet food by the time I go to bed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts