Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I freeze the meat I feed my cats and then thaw it or is it perfectly safe to feed it to them with out freezing it in the first place(so if I just went got a chicken breast at the grocerie store and decided to feed it to them right away)?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I will feed things without freezing first unless it's wild caught. Some people are more careful and freeze anything, some only make sure to freeze pork first. It's up to you burt a chicken breast is pretty low risk, I wouldn't worry about feeding it without freezing.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
A lot of what I get is already frozen, but if it's not and I need to feed it right away, I do so, pork included. All the wild game I get for free via C's list has been long-frozen, so not an issue. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't freeze meat if I don't need to. Mine are very picky and prefer to eat lean beef and turn their little noses up if there is something else in their plates. They may sometimes eat a little bit of chicken or turkey or organs or whatever but the rest goes to waste :( . So I usually buy beef and give it to them right away and freeze the rest.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Really? I know it's true for seafood. I just assumed it would be applied to meat because they know that freezing kills all these evil parasites. But I could be wrong.

Either way I really don't worry about it, either for my cat or me, really. I'm not a clean freak by any means and I'm not dead yet.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Meat really isn't full of evil parasites generally speaking. ;) And cooking kills them, too (which is what most people do with it, after all).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would be really amazed if they kill the cow, butcher it and deliver it perfectly fresh to the consumer without any freezing :D This will be WOW for me :D But I have no idea about the process... :D

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I thought freezing things twice was bad. I may be entirely wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Dave_ph said:
I thought freezing things twice was bad. I may be entirely wrong but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
Has no negative effect on anything. It may affect the taste slightly for HUMANS but animals are fine w/ it. And cats/dogs don't have to worry about possible bacteria b/c they have guts made to handle that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the whole "must be frozen before supplied to consumers" thing might vary by area and animal.. I'm pretty sure pork and beef both have to be frozen first here, at least I've never seen any packaged meats that DON'T say "previously frozen", but for some reason I don't think chicken is prev frozen.

weird, now that I think about it.

my freezer freezerburns like a maniac, so I try to freeze as little as possible (within reason of course, but only freeze like 2 weeks in advance.. and I think in order to kill parasites, things have to be frozen for 3 weeks or something crazy?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts