Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright CF members, I need some help! One of my friends from high school has two kittens she's trying to find homes for. I've been wanting to get a friend for Lexi, but I've had a lot of hesitations. And now there is this opportunity and I just can't figure out what the right decision would be.

One of my major concerns is how Lexi will handle it. I'm worried that even with proper introductions, she won't be the same. I would consider the bond we have very special. She comes and sits on my lap when I'm watching tv, sleeps in my bed with me, she's very playful, etc. She's just the perfect cat for me, if that makes any sense. I'm worried that if I get a kitten, she's going to be upset and it's going to change her personality.

I should mention that Lexi has been around my family's cat, Bella, often. When she was itty bitty and I would go visit for the weekend, I would take her with me because I didn't want to leave her alone until she was older. She also lived there for about 6 months last year when I was having roommate drama. She still goes with me when I'm staying longer than a weekend, like Thanksgiving and Christmas break. Bella doesn't really care for her, but Lexi is always trying to play with her. We didn't do a proper intro with them because that was before I knew anything about it. The fact that Lexi tries (unsuccessfully) to play with Bella makes me think she would enjoy having a friend. But I'm still worried maybe Lexi is one of those cats that should be an "only cat", and she only likes Bella because she's known her since she was 6 weeks old. I would be absolutely heartbroken if I got another kitten and it didn't work out, just because I would feel so bad having to give it back.

The other thing holding me back is I just graduated with my undergrad in business, so I'm trying to get into grad school and do my MBA at the same school I just graduated from. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to sublet my apartment and move back home with my parents. My mom has made it clear she doesn't want 3 cats in the house, so I have to wait until I get accepted (which I should know within a week). Even if I decide I want one, if I don't get into grad school, I definitely can't get one!

So if you have an opinion or some advice, please speak up! I attached pics of the two kittens. The first one is named Sweet Pea and the other is Squirt. Please don't let them sway you one way or the other lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Jessica, I asked the very same question about a month ago. Mow and I are really close and while I know he'd enjoy having a cat to play with I worried how it would affect his relationship with me.

I made the decision NOT to get another cat for a couple of reasons. Right now I'm unemployed and if I don't find something soon I'll be moving back with mom as well. While my mom won't mind 3 cats in her house.... I just don't want to bring in a kitten/cat and then have to upheave it/deal with moving across the country with TWO cats.

Second, I just don't want to take a chance at Mow changing in temperament. I just have too much fun with him the way he is to risk it. He doesn't seem to be suffering for attention/ company and perhaps when I find a job I'll CONSIDER it but until then :) I'm happy with the two of us.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
A consideration is the actual cost of owning a cat, even if a kitten is "free". Is it the right time to get one? There will always be "free" kittens.

Cost of Owning a Cat - Get Information and Cost Guidelines - CostHelper.com

It's difficult to determine whether your relationship with Lexi would be affected or not. It could happen the relationship may change if she's older now, especially if she's over 1 y.o. It really depends on her temperament and how she'll interact with a kitten. It's something that can't be forecast. Some cats are just princess divas and like it that way being an only cat---they don't want to share your affection with another cat. Some cats hit it off right away and are buddies, and then something happens later to fracture the friendship. Some don't connect for quite a while, and then eventually become cuddle buddies.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Until you have a job or are in school and are able to support the costs of a second cat, I definately would not consider it. If she doesn't seem to be suffering for companionship, I would especially not consider it until you are settled. I got a buddy for my Teddy when I moved to a place that allowed me to have more than one cat because while I had a great relationship with Teddy, he seemed distressed at being left home alone for long periods of time and, the fact that if I had to focus on something other than him, he would commit "acts of naughty-ness" just to get my attention.

Now that he has a buddy, he still runs to greet me at the door but he doesn't cry and howl with joy that there is someone to interact with. He still lets me love on him and he cuddles with me, but if I need to focus on something else and he gets a case of the orneries he plays with Leo instead of getting into trouble.

If Lexi isn't troubled by loneliness, and your financial situation is unsure, I definately would not consider getting a second cat at the moment.... no matter how cute. What you can do though is help your friend try to find homes for these babies.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't mention it, but the cost was one of my first considerations. I have a job on campus and I have plenty in savings for emergencies. So money isn't a problem as of right now. If I don't get into grad school I can't continue to work on campus. So again, it really depends on if I get in or not. Also, Lexi is 1 yr 9 mos. She was born in April of 2009.

I know it's kinda silly to be worried about it when I don't even know if I can actually get a kitten or not... but as soon as I find out that I got in (thinking positively), I want to have my mind made up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I had to focus on something other than him, he would commit "acts of naughty-ness" just to get my attention.
Lol this happens occasionally... usually when I'm on the computer!

I wouldn't say she's troubled with lonliness, but I do feel bad when I leave in the morning. But that was something I knew was going to happen when I got her in the first place.

Thanks for all the advice/opinions so far!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
There are some cats that would be better off being an only cat, but most cats are find with a companion. Given Lexi's young age, I don't think that potential issues with Lexi should be your major concern. You also say that you're financially able to afford vet bills and so forth for a second cat, which is good.

So, the final thing to consider is how stable your future life will be and how certain or uncertain the future is. For example, suppose you're accepted into the MBA program (and good luck there!)...if you already have a business undergrad, your MBA will likely only take a year. What happens if you aren't able to immediately find a job after graduation in a year's time? Will you then need to move back home with your parents? If so, then you'll be in the same boat a year from now as you might be today, if not accepted into the grad program. So, stop and think about how likely it is that you'll be dependent on your parents again in the foreseeable future. If there's a good chance you will be, then now is likely not the best time to adopt a new kitten.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I would say that most cats are definitely happier with a companion. My cats are still incredibly snuggly with both of us, even though there are three of them. I feel much better about leaving them alone during the day, knowing that they have buddies to snuggle and play with.

I also believe they are healthier, since they spend lots of time chasing each other around.

But yeah, I would first determine if your life will be stable in the coming years. If there is a chance that you'll have to move into a place that has a limit on pets or anything like that, I would wait. There will always be cats and kittens to adopt.

At the same time, though, the younger Lexi is, the more readily she will accept a new companion. So if you can commit to definitely keeping this new cat no matter what, and can afford it, I'd say yes.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would say that most cats are definitely happier with a companion. My cats are still incredibly snuggly with both of us, even though there are three of them. I feel much better about leaving them alone during the day, knowing that they have buddies to snuggle and play with.

I also believe they are healthier, since they spend lots of time chasing each other around.

But yeah, I would first determine if your life will be stable in the coming years. If there is a chance that you'll have to move into a place that has a limit on pets or anything like that, I would wait. There will always be cats and kittens to adopt.

At the same time, though, the younger Lexi is, the more readily she will accept a new companion. So if you can commit to definitely keeping this new cat no matter what, and can afford it, I'd say yes.
I totally agree!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I was in your shoes two months ago - I made the decision to get the second cat and while I can't say I regret it - I can definately say that two cats are MORE WORK than one and MORE MONEY!

I will say though that Tuffy did change abit with the addition of second cat - he no longer spends ALL his time with me - I've still to decide if that is a good thing or not - I kind of miss the old days with just him, but I love the new cat too - even though she's been abit of a trouble maker since I got her. I'm sure things will settle down soon BUT make sure you have the time AND money for a second cat before getting one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts