Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I got her when she was 2 weeks old and have bottlefed her. She's now 8 weeks. I am not sure if I should get her tested before finding her a home.

When I take her in to get rabies vaccine, should I have them test her for FIV/FeLV?

I have no other information the environment she was in or the health of the mother.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
You could, but at that age, you might come back with a false positive. I'd wait until she was a bit older.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Where did she come from? Was she a stray or did you adopt her? Is she the only kitty you have?

You could test her if you wanted to (for instance, if you have other cats in the home), but you don't have to. Its kind of expensive!

If I were you, I'd just wait until the day comes that kitty gets sick (in my case, it was 9 years!) When it comes to treatment options, the vet will test the cat then, depending on what it is. My cats had a cold, which prompted it.

And it turned out that one of my cats' test was a false-positive anyway!!!

I don't have any experience with FeLV, but I do with FIV. Nothing changes, they just live life normally. It's totally up to you!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got her from a lady who was feeding her 2% milk and very unprepared to bottlefeed.

I have an adult cat but they are separated because my cat doesn't do other cats. She is not permanently living with me. I'm just fostering her until she's spayed, vaccinated, and I find her a home.

The test isn't that expensive. The combo SNAP test is $42 or so.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Ask your vet. My understanding is that the test is unreliable in young kittens. It's generally advised that you wait until the kit is older. If I remember correctly, 8 weeks is also way too young for a rabies vaccine.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well it might help with potential adopters if she's negative, but might make it harder if she's positive, so it's kinda a toss-up... then again, if you give her to someone without testing and she ends up being positive later, the person could get nasty about it. :-/ It's hard to please people...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ask your vet. My understanding is that the test is unreliable in young kittens. It's generally advised that you wait until the kit is older. If I remember correctly, 8 weeks is also way too young for a rabies vaccine.
Oh yeah, it's going to be 4 more weeks before she gets rabies. She gets her first FVRCP this week and then one more a few days after the rabies.

She is getting spayed next week hopefully though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, I could buy a lot of stuff for $42!

You're fine either way. If she has it, then you know. If she doesn't, then it wasn't a complete waste because...you know. It would definitely be harder to adopt her if she is positive, but hopefully you could find a knowledgeable and passionate person who understands that its not a death-sentence right away and kitty has many healthy, happy years ahead of her!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would leave it for her new family. People can accept it (if result was +ve) after they get attached to the kitten first. I would just tell people she hasn't been tested for FIV/FeLV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts