Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bf and I have two female cats, which are both fixed. About 8 months ago, we found a little boy kitten and have raised him since he was pretty small. Since the females are fixed, we thought why bother having him fixed, he is super cuddly and sweet and still at around 6-7 months not spraying or causing problems. He did start going outside around that time, but not aggressive, not urinating anywhere, no spraying. Well recently, he has started acting up. The past month he has urinated a few times in our house, and tonight for the first time my bf witnessed him spray.

Honestly my main two concerns are that if we get him fixed, the spraying will continue anyway, and that he will become less cuddly. I have heard mixed things, some people's cats become less cuddly after being fixed, and some people's cats become nicer.

One of our female cats became much more distant and the other one has pretty much stayed the same, so it seems 50/50. :/

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've rescued and raised hundreds of ferals of all ages and getting them fixed as soon as possible helped everything. They can breed at 4months. Cancer is very real too. Getting them fixed before these issues start is best but fixing soon is second best. Being near fixed females won't stop him being an intact male with hormonal and instinctual drives.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
FluffyLove has given you some excellent advice. Yes, definitely get him fixed ASAP, or his behavior will continue, and also he's reached what I call the "terrible teens" which may take up to 2 yrs. to subside. Most "cuddly" kittens will revert to being cuddly again. All the best!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with the above advice to neuter him.
As for being nice and cuddly afterward, my personal preference for getting a nice cuddly and friendly cat is to have a neutered male. In my experience, they tend to be the easiest of cats. (Your experience may vary).

·
Registered
Stanley (aka lanky teenager) Alfie (aka terror of the house) Smudge (aka first of many, RIP)
128 Posts
My experience has been the same as @Mosi, and even the female cats I've had neutered have settled down and become considerably more affectionate after the procedure. It can help make them less stressed as well, so wins all around. I believe the only downside to getting them neutered is you can no longer breed with them, but with so many unwanted kitties these days that is not necessarily a bad thing either.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I see your point about your cat's personality changing, which may or may not happen. The thing is, it's not about what's best for us, it's about what's best for them. Un-neutered males can develop health problems as they get older, can become more aggressive with other cats and people, and an outdoor cat can sire hundreds of kittens in an already over-populated world of animals in desperate need of homes. So yes, I believe for his sake and yours, he should be neutered asap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts