Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a male kitten and i heard that cats can live longer lives if they are either spayed or neutered.. also i was wondering if there were any problems that can occur if he isnt neutered....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Males are usually more agressive when not neutered, they also spray everything. Unless your cat is for breeding purposes, I would say always spay/neuter your pet. It will be happier and so will you in the long run. Neutered males usually grow bigger than fertile ones, but it mellows their personality out a lot cuz they aren't always 'on the make'. :wink:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Absolutely neuter. On top of making your cat a more pleasant pet and keeping your house smelling fresh, it's just the responsible thing to do.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I'll chime in here too. I feel neutering is a necessity. An intact male makes a horrible housepet and if he is allowed outdoors than he will impregnate all the strays in your neighborhood. Neutered cats have a much lower risk of reproductive cancers, will wander less from home, be more affectionate and less aggressive. An intact tom will spray in your house (very gross), while very, very few male cats that are neutered young (6 months) will spray.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Leaving a male intact is not an option for all the above mentioned reasons. :wink:

It truly is for the betterment of the cat, and you. Totally a win-win situation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks! hes only 3 1/2 months old so im not sure when he should be neutered...i'll ask my vet

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I had my Thomas neutered at 4 months. That's when my vet recommended. Also, I had heard (not sure if this is correct), that they are finding that the earlier a cat is neutered, the longer, leaner, and less aggressive he will be later in life.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree completely. :) I usually wait until my cat is 5-6 months old. A male can impregnate a female at that age. Of course, you will want to keep hime indoors, so that he does not add to the overabundance of kittens in shelters. You will be preventing health problems and probably extending his life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yea.. hes only an indoor cat..excpet when we let him out on the balcony(3'rd floor and he afraid of the height!) so yea..he wont be adding to the overabundance of cats! thanks soooo much!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Kitty's Mom said:
Also, I had heard (not sure if this is correct), that they are finding that the earlier a cat is neutered, the longer, leaner, and less aggressive he will be later in life.
Not necessarily -- it isn't recommended to do it too early for the cat's sake. Usually 4-6 months is a good time to do it. But then again you don't want to wait too long...the cat might start spraying, and once it does, the habit isn't always broken by the simple act of neutering. You might need to resort to behavioral measures then.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I found this very interesting article, it's quite long but they did an experiment neutering cats at 7 weeks, 7 months and adult cats. Seems the differences weren't that great.

But check this:
"Increased long bone length was observed in both males and females in Groups 1 and 2 (7 week and 7 month old). This appeared to be due to the fact that physeal closing (closure of the bone growth plate) was delayed in Groups 1 & 2. This explains why cats neutered and spayed as kittens are frequently larger (longer and taller) than unaltered cats or cats altered later in life. This seems to be particularly true for males. "

That is so cool. I had been told neutering before he was 1 year old would stunt his growth! I want a big cat :D

Link to the article: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/early-neuter.html

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
artemisa said:
I found this very interesting article, it's quite long but they did an experiment neutering cats at 7 weeks, 7 months and adult cats. Seems the differences weren't that great.

But check this:
"Increased long bone length was observed in both males and females in Groups 1 and 2 (7 week and 7 month old). This appeared to be due to the fact that physeal closing (closure of the bone growth plate) was delayed in Groups 1 & 2. This explains why cats neutered and spayed as kittens are frequently larger (longer and taller) than unaltered cats or cats altered later in life. This seems to be particularly true for males. "

That is so cool. I had been told neutering before he was 1 year old would stunt his growth! I want a big cat :D

Link to the article: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/early-neuter.html
Longer long bones isn't necessarily good for the cat. I know that some Swedish vets are concerned about longer legs and heavier bodies (since cats do become more and more obese), not a good combination according to some. But since few cats are neutered before the age of 7-8 months in Sweden we don't really have the research material needed for more research on the subject.

One should not neuter the cat early just to get a bigger cat.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I agree, Sol.

I find it funny that people even ask the question, "Should I spay/neuter?" I always thought it was a given. *shrug*

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea well tanyuh...i've never had a kitten b-4! this is my first one so maybe some of us dont know the answers and have to ask..

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm sorry Lily, I didn't mean it in a rude way - was just an observation and nothing against you personally. In fact, when I wrote that post, I was thinking that it wouldn't go across right, but I had just woken up and I was too lazy to fix it :/

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would definately neuter/spay my cat. I waited a little too long with my kitty Piper and he ended up spraying everywhere. I couldn't have any guests over for the longest time because my apartment stunk like cat pee! I also used to have a female kitty named Wednesday and we didn't get her fixed right away - I think she was almost two years old - anyway, she ended up getting ovarian cysts because she wasn't spayed early enough - at least that's what the vet said.

Good luck in whatever decision you decide.....

Take care

Kristy

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
OT:

KeeKee, you're from Calgary!?!?! I am from Banff!!!

GO FLAMES GO!
You better watch the game tonight!!! Hehehe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts