Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get a dental done on Nito. For free.

Let me explain.

At my school the last semester students in Surgical Nursing Lab do dentals. We don't have enough animals at the school and so we accept student pets to get their teeth cleaned for free. I've already had my dog's teeth done and it went swell, granted they had to shave a big patch on his leg to put in his catheter. And being spring it's not growing in very fast and it looks silly.

We need more pets, for some reason we just can't bring in enough. Nito, at 3 years, has decent teeth. I brush them- not nearly as much as I should/could but I do, and they aren't bad. But he has some mild gingivitis that would benefit from a sub-gingival cleaning.

The only problem is that the thought of bringing him to that school sickens me. I know he would be SO scared. I can't bring myself to trust my fellow students to take care of him. It is a rule that student owners can't schedule their pet's dental for their lab day, and they aren't allowed to visit until pick up time. I just know I'd be SO worried about him. He is my precious, special boy and I know he'd be totally scared/stressed/confused and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about it. And my school uses totally safe methods, and they have good supervision but still the thought of something going wrong and happening to my Nito... I would be crushed.

So should I get him in for a dental or shouldn't I? On one hand it's free, and probably would be for his own good but on the other hand I am so paranoid and worried that something would happen. Especially with Kovie being missing, I just would not be able to live with myself.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Well, I doubt anything would go wrong and I think he'd be super safe and cared for. However, imo you have enough stress going on right now to think about putting yourself through more.

Is it possible to take him for it the next time it is offered?

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
If he doesn't need it, I wouldn't. More for your sake than his, it sounds like you may have a stroke while he's there. :patback

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the thing is, he could definitely benefit from it. His front teeth and canines are great but his premolars have some gingivitis, and I don't have to squint my eyes are try hard to find it, cause it's there.

Gaaaah, my precious boy I just can't stand the thought of hearing him cry, I know he would moan and yowl about it the whole way there.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If a teeth cleaning is something you'd consider even if it weren't free, since he does in fact need it...then I'd go for it, since he will need it soon and he will moan and yowl at some point in any event. On the other hand, if the cleaning is something that you normally wouldn't consider for at least a year or so, because his current gingivitis is not at the point where a cleaning is required (now or in the near future), then I'd let this opportunity pass.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It doesn't really sound necessary at this time....
As others said, you have enough stress right now. Seeing your cat traumatized will not be good for you.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couple months ago at Nito's check up, the vet recommending doing it within the next year, the next two at the latest. So he definitely could use it. But I do feel I might have a stroke out of the stress. And if some fluke happened, and I lost him...

...my goodness, I don't think I could possibly live through that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts