Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a feral colony in my neighborhood. The cats are pretty feral except one of them which I managed to confine. Then as I was driving to the humane society I volunteer at, I stopped in the middle of the road and made a U turn because it's just not a good idea. I will eventually adopt her just as soon as I find out she's negative for the combo test. Anywayyyy, I use Wellness canned for them and EVO dry food. The only reason I am able to do this is because I practically spend nothing on my cats now, thanks to raw. But it is kind of costly to feed almost 5-10 cats and I am like an poor college student who has no job :( . So should I start giving them some raw meat w/ a combination of cheap wet food (and when I say cheap I mean Petsmart's Authority brand which is significantly better than the grocery store brands but cheap). Orrr should I just throw some raw meat, with some liver, some kidney and some bones w/o supplementing with canned food? Bad idea? I know Lisa Pierson from catinfo.org does that so I figured it could save me money. And I also know of some people who have barn cats and they just put down a huge plate of meat and stuff.

BTW I am still trying to get this TNR stuff sorted out for the cats but right now I am just providing food.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Some of the barn cats are semiferal but when it is time to eat they know it and come to me.

I feed a balanced raw diet over a period of three days. One day chicken necks w/ liver, the next beef w/ kidney, and the next pork. That obviously does vary but you get the idea...bone in meal w/ liver, boneout meal w/ kidney, then just a plain boneout meal.

To feed them the kidney or liver I just toss it in a specific cats direction which always seems to work. I do the same with the meat. I cut the meat in large pieces - enough for one cat for one day.

To me it is much easier to feed them raw and know they are getting enough food. However they do know me and will come fairly close to me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm that's a good idea. Thanks. I think I will try to make them as balanced as possible but I will feed the wet food also. This will save me tons and the money I save will also help the ferals, in getting them trapped/neutered/released. I wish they would get close to me :( Only some of them do and those I have already adopted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts