Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm overly protective since I spoke to the animal hospital this week about Suzy's eyes and still doesn't feel 100% sure this is right or not.

It seems that Suzy did catch a cold when Sam and Suzy came here 2.5 weeks ago, they had gotten their second vaccination the same day as we picked them up. After a few days her eyes were discharging some "goo" and her nose had some "snot" as well. Her inner eye lid were showing, so I was monitoring her a bit and was going to call the vet if she got worse.

Well, her nose has cleared up (no dry crusts either) and the goo from the eyes seem to have gone. But her inner eye lid does show a bit all the time and doesn't look as open as Sam's eyes.

She eats as much as her brother, she drinks water as much as her brother, she goes to the bathroom as much as her brother and she plays as much as her brother. I.e. She seem to be a very healthy kitten (and darn smart!) and she loves to be picked up and petted (she has such nice and soft coat) and both her and Sam seem to enjoy a tummy rub (first cats I've ever experienced tummy rubs!). So the only thing I really worry about is Suzy's eyes.

Anyway, I called the animal hospital and asked for advice and they said that she probably caught a cold, but since her nose had cleared up and there was no discharge from the eyes and she was acting like her very healthy brother it was nothing to worry about (she even could hear them playing in the background while we were on the phone). The lady said it's not uncommon for a cold to happen, especially after a vaccination, and that I should wait and see, and come in with her if she was starting to act if she was sick. Otherwise she said the eyes would clear up by itself eventually and I wasn't supposed to worry if it would take up to 9 weeks for them to clear up.

I've been giving Suzy a few drops of saline (sterile) in her eyes for a few days and it seems that it helps, nothing they suggested but since I've had contacts I know that irritated eyes can feel better after a rinse with saline. At least her inner eye lids aren't getting any worse from my treatment. Some days she looks a lot better and some days it's back as it was the other day, so it's not something I can say for sure that she's getting better, well at least she's not getting worse.

So should I worry about her eyes and try some other treatment or is this normal to happen for a 15 week kitten?

Compared to Sam, Suzy's smaller built but she's not as thin as she was when we got her and Sam. She's put on some weight for sure and both Sam and Suzy are getting heavier to carry around or have them sleeping on my tummy.

Right now they are both playing tag, running back and forth and are flying around the house like crazy (sometimes I think they are kangaroo's and not Siamese)...playtime at perfect time for hubby and me to go to bed... what else is there to expect. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since Dr Jean is back I thought I'd bump up this thread a bit.

The update is that Suzy's eyes are a tad better and the saline rinse seem to help even if the inner eyelid isn't totally gone when she's awake (and her eyes doesn't seem as open and clears as Sam's eyes). But compared to when I posted the eyes are a lot better. No discharge from the eyes or the nose.

Here's a picture of Suzy and her eyes that I took yesterday. They look a lot better than a week ago, but I still worry of course, even if things are going in the right direction:

http://halls-lulea.com/photoalbum/theme ... CN4131.jpg

·
Registered
865 Posts
Funny thing is, that stuff usually IS snot. There is a passage between the eyes (the ducts) and nose, and mucus can travel through this if the nasal passages are blocked. That's why you get them when you sleep - mucus travells down the passage when in a horizonal position.

Sorry I can't be any more help though!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Oh what a face! Adorable!

She does look as though she is squinting a bit. Untreated eye problems can be very serious. If it gets worse again (which is likely; I'll tell you why in a minute), please have the vet take a look.

Most of these are chronic herpesvirus infections. Herpes is the "rhinotracheitis" portion of the distemper/upper respirator vaccine. The vaccine does *not* prevent the disease, but theoretically makes it less severe if (and when!) they get it. These infections tend to wax and wane. Virtually all cats are exposed to the virus as kittens, and they certainly get it in the vaccine which is modified live. Most cats don't have further problems with it, but a certain percentage become persistently infected, and will flare up now and then, especially under stress. In my household, 20% are chronically infected (1 out of 5 cats); or if you just count by eyes, 10% (1 eye out of 10!). :wink:

Here's an article on the whys and wherefores and how to deal with it, including some holistic options:
www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=l ... unctivitis

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jean!

I'm making the call to the vet as I type (on hold). Going to have this checked out now and I will also see if I can find that l-lysine at the health store (if I can figure out if it has a swedish word or if it's "international"). The saline seem to relieve Suzy from some of the irritation and as you say, she squints a bit.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. This might not be just a plain cold. :(

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, got a time on thursday to see the vet. Eeeek.... I'm nervous! :eek:

Should I bring Sam as well, even if his eyes looks ok?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, back from the vet! The vet suggested to try some antibiotics for Suzy a week and if that doesn't help we'll investigate other types of problems. The vet thought Suzy looked healthy beside her eye problem (and she does wease a bit when she breathes when she sleeps, so she might have stuffed nose).

Now I just need to figure out how to administer the medication. The antibiotics comes in a huge "syringe" in plastic with some type of paste in it. I asume I need to get the mouth open enough to get that thing inside her mouth and then inject some of that paste. But I'm sure she's going to hate it!

So any ideas on how to get the cat to ingest the paste?

The eye drops she got seem to be easier to administer, and since I've already dropped saline water in her eyes before, she knows I won't hurt her when I touch her around her eyes.

My sweet baby!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Actually, the paste may be the easiest to give. You don't really have to open the mouth; just stick the syringe way back in the corner of her mouth. There's a gap in the teeth there that you can just squirt the stuff through. It will land way back on her tongue and force her to swallow.

Have fun!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jean, you have a bit of an evil streak in you, right? :D

Well, almost got the paste into her mouth.... she wiggles more than a snake that needs to use the bathroom! Ended up smearing some on her paw as well and she looked as we were poisoning her... poor girl. But she got the meds, and that is what counts!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've given up on the idea of administer the medicine through her mouth! Today (third day) hubby did a surprise attack and got all the meds in her mouth, but somehow she wiggled out his grip and jumped up on the back of the couch and somehow got all that meds out of her mouth (dropping on the floor). So now I've dediced the "smear on paw" is the only way.

At least she gets the medication and I rub it in pretty good in the fur, so she can't shake it off. And it seems that it might be working, I at least imagine her eyes are clearing up and she has a more open and awake look in her eyes. Lets hope this is what's wrong and nothing more serious!

The description on how to give a cat a pill is pretty on the spot, even when it comes to injecting paste in a kittens mouth. Hahaha... but no deadly damages yet on my husband or myself. She just wiggles her way out (might be related to Houdini). :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
CyberPet said:
Thanks Jean!

I'm making the call to the vet as I type (on hold). Going to have this checked out now and I will also see if I can find that l-lysine at the health store (if I can figure out if it has a swedish word or if it's "international"). The saline seem to relieve Suzy from some of the irritation and as you say, she squints a bit.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. This might not be just a plain cold. :(
My cat has - HAD chronic eye problems - the vet never HERPES but after I've done research I believe that is what he had.
The vet had recommend L - Lysine and it works. You can find it in any drugstore, grocery store in the vitamin / supplement section.
The vet said to use 1000 ( 2 pills ) per day - crush it into the food.
Once again I did research on the web and I found to give 250mg daily as a maintanence. I've been doing just that - 250 mg a day - no more problems with his eye. I have a happy cat again.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might be imagine things, but I think I notice an improvement already. But I'll see what the vet says. Since the vet did mention other viral diseases as well, I'm sure she knows what she's talking about. I just hope it's not. My breeder is so worried about her now, she doesn't want to sell a "sick cat"... but I wouldn't want to give Suzy back now even if she's not going to be a cat that we can breed from or show up on shows.

Going back on friday for a check-up and see if everything is ok.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Came back from the vet an hour ago for the check-up from last week. It seems that Suzy is doing a lot better, she's even more wild than before, he eyes are more wide and alert and she eats like a horse, she's gained almost 500 grams in 5 days!

The vet suggested we continue a few more days with the antibiotics, just to be on the safe side. The third eyelid isn't showing anymore, and she couldn't see any redness either. I'm so glad she's responding to the medicine!

I thought she was alright before, but now, the last 3 days she's been totally crazy. Totally full of energy and she's chasing her brother up and down the walls (well almost, furniture at least) and they are having a great time. *phew!*

Just wanted to report back, since it's always good to know how things went.

Next vet visit will probably be in the end of september when Sam's over 6 months and will have his "equipmpent" removed. Poor guy *grins evil* :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts