Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please tell me the truth
several people, some of them vets, have suggested that this cat be put to sleep- one said that he is suffering, others just don't think he has much to live for.

he is approx 13 yrs old, he is blind, and he is almost totally deaf (it is hard to tell for sure, as he has learned how to tell where things are by air currents and vibrations so well, sometimes it seems that he can hear, but tests of his hearing show no response)

he is a diabetic on three shots of insulin a day (most cats do well on two shots, he needs three)

he is in very early renal failure, no treatment needed just a special diet.

he moves very very slowly- you probably can not even imagine a cat moving as slowly as he does, take your average turtle, and reduce that speed! and that is about how fast he goes.
once in awhile he will go faster but he seldom walks at normal cat speed and he does not run or jump- well, rarely. when he was in pain, he did move quickly to get under the bed to hide (the pain is gone now- this was a temporary thing)
he can jump up onto a mattress that is on the floor, but not up on to a regular bed however he has learned how to climb into my bed using a step.

he rarely plays as most cats play is based on sight, but i have been able to get him to use a feather on a string toy sometimes, and occasionally he will attack a catnip toy.

he loves to go outside for walks- so i take him out as often as i can weather permitting.

otherwise, he sleeps a lot, eats about 3 times a day and likes to be pet and brushed but really doesn't do a whole lot.
he will wander from one room to anohter, sniffing things.

so i think that is why i have been told he should be put to sleep, because he doesn't have a lot that he can do.

i don't know how to respond to that- i have a cat who is almost 17 and while she does play occasionally and can still jump (but not as high and nowhere near as often as before) and she spends most of her time asleep, too

so should a 13yr old be more active than he is? do you think that his existance is boring/unsatisfying or i don't know, somehow horrible, for him?

i only had one cat before and she barely made it to age 9- she had been a stray and was just never very healthy

these guys look a lot better than she ever did!
so i just dont' know how to judge

am i keeping him alive for me, or do you think he has a life he enjoys???

how do you know these things???

torn in two about this
althea

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Does he cry as if he is in pain or is it that he is just slow, deaf and blind?

Personally, I can't see putting him to sleep unless he is in pain. Just because he can't see and can't hear much doesn't mean he isn't valuable and doesn't "have a life."

That's just my personal opinion. I kind of see it this way. To me, my cats are like children. I have no real children so they fill that void. If you had a child that didn't have a "decent quality of life" would you say that it's life was not valuable and that it didn't deserve every chance to live?

In my heart of hearts, I would give the kitty a chance until it is obvious that pain has set in and is not going away. We really have no idea what goes on in the mind of an animal, so maybe he enjoys life the way that he knows it. I hope this helps you. :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Catnapt, I'm going to say something that may seem as illogical as can be, but it is relevant. Together, you have developed a resonance. There are certain things you have come to know he likes, and certain things you've come to know he doesn't like. You demonstrated one of them when you wrote "he loves to go outside for walks". What can you feel through this resonance that the two of you have developed regarding other things? Does he love being with you in spite of his disabilities? Or, do you sense that he finds life to be too unbearable to continue the existence? You know more than we as to whether his pains are extensive or whether he looks to you to find a release.

I think many of us that have been faced with the choice came to a point to where we knew. We knew when it was enough. We knew not because we were simply casual observers, but because we were a part of the relationship. It's a special relationship.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Your cat does have some setbacks to life but it still seems like he is still enjoying it somewhat. I have to have one of my dogs euthanized a while back b/c I just knew it was time and he was so sick...in your case, I can see how others can view it as the cat being unhappy and such, but your cat likes to still go on walks, can't jump as high but at that age, cats aren't as they used to be, and some cats just don't play as much as some cats. I know I have one cat that likes to lounge and watch the other cat play. I wish you and your kitty the best! :wink:

·
Banned
60 Posts
Your kitty sounds like he is happy, and so do you with him. What he does everyday sounds like what all my cats do everyday, especially my 12 year-old Boy. Cats don't do much most of the time anyway.

Vets and other people may think they know what's best for him, but I think as his cat-parent, you know best. If he isn't in terrible pain all day everyday, I think he deserves his lease of life.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
As long as your cat isn't in pain and he wants to live I think he should live. But the day you sense that he's starting to give up, and you have to be honest about it, it's time for him to be put to sleep.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I agree with the other posters....your kitty sounds to me like he still has some drive to him. When I was done reading about him I thought "he's just like an elderly person...he can't do as much as he used to but he enjoys simple things". I have never had a pet that had to be put down, but I believe that when it's time, your kitty will let you know. I think you are an awesome person for taking the time to realize what he still enjoys doing and seeing that he still needs love in his final stages. There are some people that will put down their animals for peeing too much; the world needs more people like you... :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks so much

Thanks so much everyone for your replies!!

i have never had an elderly cat before so i didn't really know what to expect.

he is such a sweet guy, i would hate to lose him, but when people who deal with way more animals than i ever will suggest putting him to sleep i had to wonder if i was being selfish

i now can see that since they do not live with him it would be easy to assume that being blind and deaf are awful hardships for him, but he has adjusted just wonderfully and does things that really make you wonder if he CAN see and hear! he follows me around, how? by the vibrations in the floor and the air currents!!

he was trying to climb up my leg today when i got home from the deli, his nose can find any bit of good food in no time!LOL

i love him so much! i love all my kitties so much

i am really relieved and very glad i asked for more opinions!

thanks so much!!

:)

·
Banned
60 Posts
Please keep us posted on how he is and what he's been up to (a blog would be good too - I keep one for my five cats so their cat rescue friends can read what they're up to and see how much they've grown). :D

It's wonderful to hear your story. Please post some pics of him if you have any. We'd love to see him. :D

Thanks for writing and take care!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I agree with Empath. You'll know when it's time. If he enjoys part of life, that would be enough for me. If he won't eat or can't eat or drink and hides in a ccrner, his time is short. But unless he's in pain, I like to give my animals the longest enjoyable life possible, and, of course, I never want to give one up. But I've had to do it, and we know that day will eventually come. Until then, take him for his walks and pet him 'til he purrs. That's the joy of his life. God bless both of you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My parents had a cat who went blind and also had arthritis so she couldn't jump and could only walk slowly
but like your cat she loved to go outside and lie in the sun
she was like this for about 2 years
she was finally put to sleep when she became incontinent and in pain,
so I think your cat still has a good quality of life and is enjoying the Autumn of her life

once she is in pain and can't make it to the litter tray, this maybe when you have to think about euthanasia

in the meantime enjoy your cat and your little outings outside with her

just don't move any furniture around as this will confuse a blind cat

You sound like a very caring cat owner, I wish you and your kitty well

for the record, I used to worry about my parents cat's quality of life once she went blind, but the vet said she was fine and happy and he would not contemplate putting her to sleep until she was in pain and incontinent

and to be honest when I did visit and see her she was purring away, and although she bumped into things she could get around and get outside to lie in the sun, cats are quite adaptable so don't worry about your lovely cat, just enjoy her company
hope this helps
J

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
My dearest friend recently found herself in a similar situation. Her 1 year old spayed female was diagnosed with a form of cancer. The vet told her the cat had anywhere from a 2-6 weeks to live. The cat was still very vibrant, full of energy and showing no sign of pain. My friend took her cat home and decided to watch her and bring her in when she became uncomfortable. Over the next several weeks the cat grew thin, but was still able to eat small amounts, drink water and remained very sweet, cuddly and seemed to be pain-free. One day she became lethargic, and it looked like the time was coming. My friend hated to now load her into the car and take her to the vet, where she would be scared and confused. The dear, sweet kitty began breathing very shallow and died in my friend's arms. I cry as I write this, but it was exactly what my friend wished for.
My point to this story is that you seem like the same type of owner. Some people in my friend's life, not me, thought she should put her cat down immediately after the cancer diagnosis. She couldn't do it. She couldn't put down a cat still enjoying her life.
I think you will know the right time. Bless you and your kitty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wish I could reach thru the 'puter and hug you. I also have a 13 year old that is on insulin--he is twice but three times is also alright.

Now I'm working with what my ve has done for my Smokey. And I pass this on to any who need it.

1) DON'T put him to sleep just because he can't see or hear. That is not a fair reason. ask Is he still able to do things (and it sounds like he can). The moving slow is because he needs to be certain of his next step--that the floor is still going to be there. He can't see the floor so he walks to make certain he is not going to fall. This is natural even for humans that are blind.

2) CHANGE HIS DIET -- I don't care how much he loves the food he is on now. Get him on m/d from Science Diet. Smokey was over 300 in his blood sugar and altho the insulin was working it just was not balancing it enough to the point we were also talking about letting him go to Rainbow Bridge. Science Diet came out with this new food and it is a meat diet. Research (mine with Smokey is all that counts) has proven this diet to work wonders in controlling the blood sugar level. after being on the new diet completely Smokey's blood sugar is now 110--EXACTLY where it should be (90-130 is normal for a cat). Some cats during the reseach for this food have been able to go off insulin completely.

3) TEST his blood sugar every two weeks during the change over MINIMUM. Smokey is tested every two week period. I won't let a problem sneak in.

4) Know that I will be praying for you and your baby every day. Prayer is the biggest cure for our babies. Please be sure of this. Read TigerBoy's story.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey,
I had a cat which I had to euthanise last summer.
He was 13years old and had either leukaemia or FIP. We don't know exactly but assume it was leikaemia. It was a long life of suffering but he always showed that he loves life, he took part in our everyday life. But as he wasn't able to go to the litter anymore, I knew that it is time for him to go over the rainbow bridge.

I would agrre with the others. As long as he doesn't suffer or is in pain, let him stay with you. He is old and cannot be active anymore, but he enjoys life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts