Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We currently have a male orange cat named Harper that is almost 2 years old. We have had him for about a year. He is playful, sweet, and somewhat affectionate (still prefers to run around than sit on your lap 90% of the time). We can cut his claws and give him a bath, and while he doesn't enjoy either, he has never scratched us or hissed at us! In short, he is pretty much perfect.

(Having said that, he also had a case of feline idiopathic cystitis a few months ago that we are 99% sure was caused by the stress of us painting the apt and moving furniture around. He is now on Medical Urinary Tract food and is doing fine.)

We would love to get another cat. There is a grey 5 month old female cat at the local shelter that we have our eye on.

We have a big 2 bedroom apartment and will likely be buying a house in the next year or so. Since Harper spends 6-9 hours alone every day and seems bored quite often, this cat would also be a good friend for him. And when we buy a house, I figure the two cats moving together would be better than moving Harper alone, and may prevent another case of stress-induced FIC.

Again, Harper is pretty much perfect so I'm not too worried about how he will react to a new cat, but if there are any tips you guys have or worries you see with this plan, please let me know.

Thanks!

--steve

(I realize there are a few threads on this topic buried in the forum, but I figured rather than bumping a year-old thread I'd start a new one.)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
If you would love another cat and you have room and no financial issues preventing it -- which seems to be the case -- then go for it! Most cats will get along with others after a proper introduction, and the younger they are, the easier the introduction tends to go. A five-month old should be relatively easy to introduce to Murphy.

If the female has not yet been spayed, then if possible I would arrange to do so before you bring her home, rather than a month or so later. That way you avoid "stops and starts" to the introduction, along with complications that could arise if she goes into heat in the interim. If she's already been spayed, then no worries. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Is Harper stress prone?

http://www.catforum.com/forum/36-cat-chat/138806-stressed-not-sick-article-backs-up-what-intuition-tells-us.html

This article mentions cystitis in cats and how the majority of the cats in the study got better.

The thing is, you're planning a move and a second cat, both could cause stress (and maybe not). I've no ideas on how to reduce his problem if he is stress prone, but perhaps it's something you should look into. I would hope Harper could handle a companion, however...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Susan: Yes she is already spayed! :)

jusjim: Interesting! Yes, Harper seems to be stress prone, but at the same time we can usually comfort him by holding him / feeding him when he is stressed, and he seems to get better. The time he got sick, we had just painted the apartment, moved a TON of furniture around, moved his litter box to another room for half the day, smoked a cigar inside, etc. Basically we weren't thinking about his needs at all. Now, of course, we do, so we don't put him through that kind of stress anymore!

As for reducing stress while moving to a new house, that was just sort of a coincidental 'Pro' of getting a new cat. We didn't plan on buying a new cat and moving the next day, rather I had it in my head that we would get the cat, they would become friends, and then could comfort eachother when we did move a few months after that. As in, they were both going through the move together, and had eachother, as opposed to just Harper moving to a big scary new house on his own.

Anyway, I am going to see the cat (Maggie - click) after my doctors appointment this afternoon. We can find out if they know if she is good with other cats, etc.

Thanks guys!

--steve

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
When I clicked on Maggie's link it said it's no longer available on that database. Does this mean ... you got her already? That would have been fast!

If you do adopt Maggie, just be prepared that things may not go well at first. It can take weeks or months to reach a point where the two cats get along well, or at least tolerate each other. I learned that one the hard way. We introduced a second cat and the tension in the house was so thick, I could barely stand it. Our resident cat was absolutely miserable. After 2 weeks we returned the second cat to the shelter, which is heartbreaking to have to do, especially for such a sweet, affectionate kitty.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I'm a two is better than one believer. I got Franklin as a 4 month old and he was an only cat for all of 7 months. When I got Franny he was much happier.

I got to the link just fine. Here is the info displayed; She's a doll :)

MAGGIE - ID#A122877

I am a spayed female, gray tabby Domestic Shorthair.

The shelter staff think I am about 5 months old.

I was brought to the shelter as a stray but am now available for adoption.

If you think you have found your pet in the Adoption Centre, please contact our Customer Service Supervisor at 613-725-3166 or [email protected].

I have been at the shelter since Oct 09, 2010 at 15:39.
This information is less than 1 hour old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
October: haha no, the Ottawa Humane Society website is notoriously weird. It just goes down at weird times for no reason. Maybe when they are doing upgrades or something. I am very worried about that situation, as I don't think I could stomach returning a cat to the shelter, but I guess that is the risk you have to take when getting a new one!

kwarendorf: "I have been at the shelter since Oct 09, 2010" - doesn't that break your heart??? Poor thing...

I will report back later about what Maggie is like in person :)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Ohh, Maggie's beautiful! She would be quite the catch. I hope things go well when you meet her. :)

Harper sounds wonderful, and I think he'd do great with a friend, just as long as introductions are done proper. I started out with just one cat as well. We adopted Samantha at almost two years old, and we decided to get her a friend after she settled in with us. Her and Rochelle, and later Alice have all become good friends, and now I don't feel so bad leaving my girl home alone. :) Rochelle at around one year and Alice at around seven months were easy to integrate into the household, so I'd assume a five month old would be a great age for Harper to get along with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
****! Doctor's appt took WAY longer than I thought it would so I didn't get to go meet her... aiming for tmrw now..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts