Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I came home with a bag of cat kibble, and the first thing I did before I took my coat off was to show it to Missy. The same today with the bag of World's Best. I also show her canned cat food when I unpack it.

My reason is to get her familiar with my going out and coming back with stuff for her. She usually sniffs at it when I show it, but then I see her going back later for a further sniff session.

Anybody else do stuff like this?

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
By the time I put my keys down, my girls are ear-deep in the bags.

Show them the shopping?

I'm lucky if they haven't eaten the shopping!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Yarp. The shopping bags go on the counter and after an initial hug from me, Mow is snoot first into the groceries checking them out. Same thing when UPS/Fedex shows up. He sits by waiting for me to open the box so he can look inside (and climb inside, and chew on the box, and rub against it....)

When my mom visited last she bought some toys for her kitten and didn't want to show them to Mow in case he assumed they were his. She put them in her closet in my spare bedroom. She tided the plastic baggie handles to the clothes rod to keep them out of reach and we went back out. By the time we got back he had climbed onto the shelf above the rack and tore the bag open and had the toys spread all over the room. Poor Zoe got toys with Mow spit all over them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yup! I always show them their new stuff as soon as I bring it home. I guess I get excited about it.

Show them the shopping?

And that was the first thing Apollo did when I poured him his first litterbox of World's Best. XD
I guess he thought it was food, until Athena showed him what it was supposed to be used for.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Everything does belong to us, Jim.

Signed,

Cleo :blackcat

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

Show them the shopping?

Well, my girls don't eat the shopping...they don't eat much period...but they're definitely all over the shopping as soon as I put the bags down. Two little noses, sniff, sniff, sniff.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Both Samantha and Alice LOVE to inspect any shopping bags I bring home, and they try to climb in them and check out everything. If I bring home something specifically for them, like cans of food, or the Wellness Indoor that I just brought yesterday, Samantha will start to bite on the cans or bag because she knows it's for her!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Show them the shopping?

Hahaha...sounds like my girls, too. I have to confine Egypt and Lacey to the bathroom when I need to ration their food; since they are mostly raw fed, their food comes in the shopping. By the raucous they make in there during the time it takes me to prepare everything, you would think I have a large Rottie banging his head against the door instead of 2 cats under 8 lbs each behind the door...lol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hahaha...sounds like my girls, too. I have to confine Egypt and Lacey to the bathroom when I need to ration their food; since they are mostly raw fed, their food comes in the shopping. By the raucous they make in there during the time it takes me to prepare everything, you would think I have a large Rottie banging his head against the door instead of 2 cats under 8 lbs each behind the door...lol.
Same here, I have to lock everyone in a room when preparing their raw food. Except in my case the four kittens, when locked up, think they must destroy something to get revenge. In the last few weeks I've used the excuse, "My cat ate/destroyed my homework" twice:p. A piece of paper, according to them, is the perfect thing to tear to shreds.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Mine are the same. On the counter, in the bags, on top of the bags, smelling everything they can.

Maybe someone should start a picture thread for cats inspecting the shopping, I bet it would be pretty funny!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Haha, yeah, I do! I'm always like "oooh, look what mommy got you! Do you want to sniff? Do you want chicken or fish treats today?" And before I go out I always tell them I'm going out shopping for them..

And I let them choose their own flavours.. I hold all the flavours I have in front of them, and the one they seem most interested in is the one they're getting.. And then I make a big deal out of serving it. "Today, turkey in gravy is on the menu. It will be served with our finest water". Everyone always pokes fun at me, but I couldn't care less.. I love being an obsessive momma :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts