Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does a Siamese cat meow sound way different from other cat meows?

·
Registered
166 Posts
They speak a different language..Siam??..lol.

I have to say....I am not sure but am very interested....I do think I read it had to do with the vocals development and length of that muscle...but I can not remember if the breed was Siamese or not.

·
Registered
672 Posts
<sigh> welcome to the wonderful world of little girl questions LOL

I have been living with it for over 2 weeks now. I figured it was only fair I shared the wealth lolol

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think it's actually a different meow. I think they are just more vocal and use more of a range with their meows. They just have a lot to say, LOL. Think about it. Most cats only meow once in a awhile so if all you ever said was "Hello" then you wouldn't really change how you said it. But you talk far more then that and have a wide range of tones you use with your words to help get your point across. Same with Siamese cats(or more vocal cats in general).

That's my theory at least, haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think its a very good question!

Not only does my Sully meow different (and much more often) than the other kitties, he also purrs different... he's always making some sort of noise. Whether its purring, meowing or something in between, he's always got something to say. I don't know why, I guess its just something they are born with, like how some people sing and some dont. :) I sure enjoy his talking though

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm gonna have to go to you tube and look up a siamise meowing - LoL - I've never heard one, I've read how they are more vocal but didnt' realize they sound different.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cats

Well, I actually own a Siamese Cat (well kitten).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Siamese cries are like a baby cry. At least that's how I think of it.
Whenever a baby would be crying on TV, Sumo would freak out and I would have to mute it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Purebred siamese (not just "siamese color"/colorpoints) definitely have a distinct low pitch meow...and you'll hear it a lot! I'd almost describe it as guttural or growly but those aren't really the right words, I don't think.

Basically, it's a trait that has been passed on and inherited for so many generations that their vocal cord structure breeds true.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have two pure breed siamese. One is CFA registered. Neither one has the siamese meow. They are traditional, not modern. They both talk more than the other cats, but not excessively, but they do have more of a range of sounds. Milani grunts a lot at the other cats when she is near me. I've learned it means: Get Lost! This is my time! But neither have that low siamese howl. I think it does have something to do with the modern siamese.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a pure Siamese and they are extremely vocal!
I am still trying to find out why their meow is different form other kittys aswell.
Maybe it is because they come from Siam.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I didn't know they had a different meow and I own two! Neko definitely has a deep raspy meow, like he hasn't spoken in ages. Willie has a very high pitched meow and has MANY different types. One of which is his "I'm bored and going to get myself into trouble" meow which is more like "burrrrrrr OW" and everyone thinks that one is funny.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know why it is different, but it is one of the most endearing things to me. My modern Meezer has a huge "vocabulary" and will sometimes imitate meows that I make. I talk to him constantly. He also purrs so hard his whiskers vibrate and it is audible at a considerable range.
This morning he woke me up with this low-pitched, craggly sounding meow. It was so funny!
I wonder if Oriental shorthairs have the same sort of vocal range? Anyone here live with one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
OMG! I found one that was even funnier. My first Siamese, Cherry, used to make the chattering sounds too. I miss it. This is a great video.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Lacey is a traditional purebred Balinese and she has the low guttural meow and some high pitched ones as well. She yowls and the others meow. Egypt trills. But yes, definitely Lacey's is a way different sound and there is a lot more vocalization from her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts