Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Siamese that is about 4 yrs. old. It seems that when we head out of town and return home in a couple days that she gets mad and poops in random places through out the house. She does not do this when we are home at all. Only when we leave for a few days. Does anyone have any ideas how how to stop her from doing this? Have any of you had your cats do this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well she probably feels abandoned. Do you have any other pets? How long do you leave her? I think it would be her way of telling you dont go away again. I'm gone all day for work and I feel horrible leaving my kitties for 9 hours :(

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Are you having a cat sitter or other qualified person to come in and check on her twice a day? Feed her, make sure she has water, clean the litter tray and spend at least 30 mins. of interactive play with her? If you're just leaving her alone by herself ..... that is irresponsible.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Feliway could help, leaving a tv or radio on so she's not all alone in silence, and spend heaps of time making it up to her when you get home.

If it's longer than overnight I would definitely be getting someone in at least once a day.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Could be a sign of stress, having a sitter to play and cuddle with the cat might help, as could the recommended feliway spray...or another feline friend. If you are leaving for a couple of days with no sitter then the litter box build up might be causing the issues.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
If you're just leaving her alone by herself ..... that is irresponsible.
That's so not true. Lots of people, including members here, leave their cats by themselves for the weekend with no cat sitter.

I agree that the problem might be the litter box. I would set out three clean ones when you leave for the weekend. You can get cheap temporary ones as your extras.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree...it's not irrsponsible- we do it all the time on weekends (we do a lot of camping) and the cats are just fine!

How about also leaving a TV on? Or a companion cat? House sitter (as others have said)? You have lots of good options - and some great resources!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We sometimes leave the cats home alone over night and they're okay when we come home. Any longer than one night and we get someone to come in and check on them, feed and scoop the litter.
Going outside the litter tray can be a sign of stress so maybe this is why she only does it when she's home for long periods alone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
do you usually scoop the litter box every day? if you do, and then there are a couple of days of no scooping, he may not like the 'full' box. some cats are more sensitive than others. I agree with the previous poster to get him multiple boxes and see if that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops sorry for the double post, hit the wrong button and didnt finish typing fast enough.

Sorry for not replying right away. I thank you all for the input. We do have another cat in the house and it only seems to be the Siamese that is affected by us being gone. Usually we are only gone for a couple of nights. I have not thought about keeping the radio on for her but that is a great idea. I also make sure the litter box is clean before we leave for town thinking that was the issue. It didnt seem to make a difference. I have not had anyone come over to check on them since it is usually only a couple of nights we are gone. Although I will say that if I was gone for say a week at a time I would have someone checking on them daily.

Im kinda leading towards the abandonment side of things. When we come home she is right there at the door to great us and wants nothing more than to be played with and snuggled. We do spend a lot of time the rest of the day doing this with them. Thank you again for the input, its nice to hear other peoples answers.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Would you leave a child alone to fend for itself for a few days? Your furkids are your responsibility to care for them and keep them safe. Stuff happens.....bladder blockages, UTI's, swallowing something like a piece of string or dental floss that may cause an intestinal blockage, getting tangled up in venetian blind cords (have heard of kittens being strangled), having a stroke. There are any number of things that can happen suddenly to your cat. I certainly wouldn't take the chance. I always have a sitter come 2/day when I have to be away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, first off I have to state this. I came to this site to ask for opinions. Granted that is each and everyone of you. With that being said I have to say this. I do not need to be preached to about how or what you think I should care for my cats. They are not children, they are animals. Keep them separate!!! I dont care if your cats are your kids, they are not mine. They are just companions in this house. They are perfectly capable to fend for themselves. Im sorry if this offends some of you, but I will leave my animals home alone. It does not mean I neglect them!

To answer your question Siameseifuplz. I clean there litter box every other day. Always smells good, well as good as a litter box can smell LOL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think you probably have two things at work here.

My Siamese Fred really prefers to have a clean litterbox. He will circle it and yell at me when it has become unacceptably dirty - I suspect your cat may just be the same way.

Also, more than many breeds, Siamese cats need to be with their people. Of course life happens and there are times we need to leave them, but they will NOT be happy. My mom had a cat once who she left at the vet's house (not the clinic) for a week while away, and when she picked her up, the cat's fur on her face had gone white with stress. It took a while to appear normal.

If it is possible I would try to establish a relationship with a cat sitter. I bring Fred with me on trips to my parents' house and he is now excited to be at "Grandma and Grandpa's". If I ever have to leave him for a week or so, I know I can leave him there and he will be a little mollified. Not happy mind you, but not as stressed out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm with you, there's nothing wrong with leaving a cat for a few days without a sitter, I know people who choose a cat instead of a dog for that very reason.

Next time you go away try leaving down an extra, clean litter box and see if that does the trick. For some cats going one extra day without a box cleaning can be enough to get them going on the floor instead.

Try one of those feliway plug in things too, can't hurt.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Add litter boxes. That should solve the problem. And not that you're worried, but don't worry he's fine for a couple of days as long as their is sufficient water, food, and litter boxes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts