Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cats, one male and one female, brother and sister, neutered and spayed. They’ve been together since we adopted them from a shelter 1 1/2 years ago. I thought one or both were spraying in a corner of an upstairs hallway some months ago, but I treated that and believe it stopped (I put a temporary obstruction there for several weeks). No spraying for several months. But then just the other day, I smelled cat urine in our family room coming from behind four theatre seats we have against a wall. My husband said he didnt smell anything and said it is just the litter box (he’s wrong, why am I the only one who notices these things?). Last nite, I placed a line of foil behind the chairs, hoping to keep the cats away until I can treat it today (cats hate foil, right?). I just moved the chairs away from the wall and saw claw marks and torn foil, along with a puddle of urine on the foil! Ugh! Once I clean this up/treat the carpet, how will I put a stop to this? I know about taking them to the vet...I dont think that is the problem but rather a behavior problem. My cats generally get along, play with each other, sleep together sometimes, and groom each other. Clearly they are bonded. But the male does seem to be a bully at times and plays too roughly (the female growls a lot, but sometimes even hisses). I guess I need to buy the Feliway diffusers, but if anyone has any other ideas re: how I can protect my carpets and my sanity, please tell me. I just want a happy, clean-smelling house without it requiring that I be scrubbing behind them all the time. I love them terribly, but can’t live this way! Please tell me it will stop.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
It's always difficult to determine what starts peeing outside the litter box, possibly a UTI (urinary tract infection). Sometimes even the smell of cats outdoors peeing nearby could trigger it. A suggestion to try to discourage this behavior is to put a layer of Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter on top of the litter in your litter boxes (assume you have 2). I've used this with success. Also you could make some kind of a barrier along the wall at the back of your chairs....eg. scrunch up some newspapers in a row, and spay it with a cat deterrent (there's one called "Boundary Cat Deterrent" from Amazon) or shred lemon rind and sprinkle it among the newspapers---cats don't like the smell. All the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts