Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the forum because I'm having a problem with my cats. I have 4 cats that started out as ferals in my back yard but are now coming in my house and sleeping in my bed with me. They turned out to be really affectionate. The calico female has always been the outsider because she's smaller than her brothers. (and she weighs 11 pounds!) She's very gentle, so when the boys played rough with her, she'd get upset. But now the grey tabby is trying to mate with her even though he's neutered. I'd find tufts of her white hair all over the house from them fighting. So she's been staying away from home more and more. I got worried that she'd eventually not come back at all and become a stray cat, with all the misery that goes along with that. Now I've got her locked in the house and she'll be an indoor kitty for the rest of her life. She's not thrilled by this but she's adjusting nicely. I'm trying to find her a home where she can be the only cat, and someone suggested that I put the grey tabby on Prozac to calm his aggressive tendencies. He's very sweet and affectionate towards me, but he was the runt and has a bit of a Napoleon complex when it comes to other cats. And she's the only one of the siblings that he can beat up on, so he does. I spray him with water when he goes after her in the house, and now he knows he's supposed to stay away from his sister. As long as I'm home he behaves, so I make sure the two of them are separated whenever I leave the house. Anybody have any suggestions or advice for me? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Have you tried feliway? Also have you had the brother checked - very occasionally one testicle hasn't descended properly and is not fully removed (like a rig with a horse) or there may be another underlying factor in his behaviour.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The female could also have a piece left in her as well, and she is still producing hormones that drive the males nuts.

I know all of mine were fixed except for 1 female (their sister) and they pestered the ever loving snot out of her until I got her altered (with so many to do all at once (5 kittens + momma) we were doing it on as we could basis with the girls since they cost so much more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had them all fixed at SNPLA (Spay Neuter Project Los Angeles) in San Pedro and I checked with a cat rescue group who confirmed that they do a very good job there, so all cats should be okay. I have a vet appointment for my little troublemaker next week, and I'll ask the vet about the undescended testicle. I'll also ask about the female, but the two other boys leave her alone so I suspect my grey tabby male is the cause.

I started using a Feliway plug-in last week, and now the girl has a Sentry brand Calming Collar on. The collar is thick and may make it hard for a male to grab her by her scruff. I don't know which of these things, if any, are helping, but there's definitely less aggression.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It doesn't need to be anything to do with mating...mounting behavior isn't always (or even mostly) sexual. It could simply be that he's over excited (as in playing too hard) and just gets too riled up. Think of a kid at Disney land - too excited!

My big boy Muffin does this all the darn time. *sigh* It has nothing to do with mating, yet if you weren't looking closely it might seem that way. He'll prance over to one of the other cats (usually Doran), grab their scruff and then stand over them like that. In his case it only happens when he has too much energy and hasn't been able to run it out enough.

Our solution is to burn that excess energy! Works like a charm. Whether you grab a toy when you see him start to get wound up, or get some sort of automatic toy (our auto laser is a life saver!) it'll help a lot.

Tired kitties are good kitties ;)

On the other side of things, if your female is more shy and cautious than the other cats she's painting a bright red target on her own back. Cats need to be confident around other cats, or she'll be his tackle buddy every time. No fun.

I started doing daily 'family treat time' with my four. All four kitties in the kitchen, chowing down on their favorite treats side by side. In the beginning Torri (MY delicate flower ;) ) was on the table, the other cats on the floor. This way she felt safe enough to eat the treats and the others had a barrier to stealing her goodies. As her confidence grew she chose to jump down and be a part of the throng, so all four kitties get their treats sitting nicely in a row. :) It boosts Torri's confidence like crazy to eat yummy treats right next to Muffin the Conqueror (lol) and not be pounced on.

Also, cats go through phases, just like people. The past few months Muffin has been our instigator (which is why I was picking on him this post), but in the past it's been Doran or Jitzu who was causing problems. In each case giving that specific kitty some extra exercise has helped a lot until they get over their craziness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you may be right about the excess energy. I'll try to get some extra play time for him. Happily, the cats are getting along well when I'm around, so I've just been separating my "troublemaker" (who's really very sweet otherwise) from his sister when I'm leaving the house. Things are looking up. =^..^=

1 - 8 of 8 Posts