Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four cats, about 15 months old, all fixed, who've been together since birth. They've always gotten along fine. But lately one of the boys, Yoshi, has been increasingly aggressive toward Hinata, the only girl.

I don't think he does anything to her besides chase her and try to playfight, but she doesn't want that, and reacts very aggressively to his attempts. They tear back and forth through the house, him chasing her, and when he corners her, she snarls and screams like a catfight you'd hear outside your window at midnight.

Our response thus far is to yell "HEY!" really loudly and clap our hands, which works most of the time. If Yoshi backs off, we praise him and give him attention. If it doesn't, he goes into time out until he settles down. Hinata still has some feral tendencies, so she just runs and hides and there's not much we can do with her.

We've also been paying more attention to Yoshi generally, giving him a lot of praise and energetic playtime. He soaks it all up, but his behavior isn't improving. Hinata growls whever he's anywhere nearby, which is all the time, and we have to police them continuously, which is getting old.

Could this be the vestiges of sexual behavior? Yoshi was fixed at four months and Hinata at six months, and we haven't seen anything else like this until now. But I'm wondering if it has any connection to another strange thing that has been happening.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
I don't think it's sexual behavior on either side, and I'm mystified if there's any connection to the mysterious spots. I think it's just dominance behavior asserting itself as they get older and those two are contesting for the role of top cat. It sounds like Yoshi is winning and Hinata isn't too happy about it. This might eventually settle down if and when they mature and accept their places in the social group. Then again, it might not. For now, I would just keep doing what you've been doing.

I've dealt with two similar situations: Tommy vs. Mellie was unsatisfactorily resolved by having to surrender Tommy for readoption. Rocket vs. Mellie seems to be under control and heading for acceptable resolution after some months of frustration. So my batting average is .500, which would be pretty good if this was baseball. But it's not. :roll:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have the same problems between Dude and Kit N. He beats up on her a lot and pushes her out of the window perch even when he doesn't really want to sit up there. He gets jealous when we pay attention to her too.

It's helped to give Kit N. places where she can get away from him. She likes to lay on top of the back of a recliner chair, it rocks and he's too clumsy to climb up there. She has another perch in the living room that is just a table with cat bed on it. Dude is not allowed on it at any time. We also take her into the bedroom at night and let her stay in there with us while we're sleeping with the door closed. When Dude picks on her while we're awake and downstairs, we "put him in jail" for 20-30 minutes. "Jail" is a cat carrier.

I'm going to try another thing, starting tonight I'm going to take Dude upstairs and shut him in the bedroom with me, then play with him until he's worn out. I may even try that a couple of times a day to see if more exercise drains off some of his aggression. He's getting kind of fat too, so I want to try to work on that as well.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. Sounds like this is a common problem, then. :?

The dominance angle is one I hadn't really thought about. Hinata is the runt of the litter and has been planted firmly at the bottom of the household social hierarchy since Day 1. However, Yoshi has been the alpha cat for most of the time we've had them, until just recently. Now Hissy is kicking his butt. Could he be taking his frustration out on Hinata?

I like the idea of finding a place that Hinata can fit, that the boys can't. She's about 2/3 their size, so we should be able to find something!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jet Green said:
However, Yoshi has been the alpha cat for most of the time we've had them, until just recently. Now Hissy is kicking his butt. Could he be taking his frustration out on Hinata?
Yep. Dude is finally getting some back, because The DustBunny is getting big enough to give him a run for his money when they tussle and I've even seen her pin HIM down a couple of times. Then he goes and picks on Kit N. I think he's trying to soothe his wounded pride by picking on a cat that doesn't fight back like Dusty does.

I'll bet Yoshi will lay off of Hinata if you wear him out playing and make him too tired to mess with anyone.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sky Eyes Woman said:
I'll bet Yoshi will lay off of Hinata if you wear him out playing and make him too tired to mess with anyone.
I'm really trying...Unfortunately Yoshi seems to have the same idea. "I'm bet Mom will lay off about me going after Hinata if I wear her out playing and make her too tired to mess with me!" :roll:
:catrun

1 - 6 of 6 Posts