Cat Forum banner

Sick 19 year old cat

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  tanyuh 
#1 ·
Hi my cat Cyble is 19 years old and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. The vet prescribed Methimazole which seemed to work wonders....she gained weight, drank less water and seemed to be in better spirits. After a couple of months the vet decided she was to old to be taking such strong medecine and felt we should just let her be. Last week I noticed she was drinking excesively and drooling so we brought her to the vet and he gave her a shot of vitamins which seemed to help.
Today started out fine she was jumping in and out of bed as usual in the morning and napping throughout the afternoon. Around 3PM she tried to walk and fell over and meowed but nothing came out. We brought her right over to the vet and he just wanted to put her to sleep. I asked him to give her another vitamin shot which he did but he feels she won't last a week.
My question is should I bring her to another vet and get her put back on the Hyperthyroid medication?
Cyble has been with me since I was 13 years old and I'm not ready to give up yet. Can anyone give me advice?

Thank you

#2 ·
thank you for responding.
I certainly don't want her to suffer but she seemed to be doing so well on the medication which is why I'm not ready to give up.
She doesn't seem ready to give up either and for the past two hours she has been trying to walk around. Even the vet was surprised at how fiesty she became when he gave her a shot and tried to clean around her mouth.
Just this morning she was jumping up two feet onto the bed which is quite a height for a 19 year old. It just seems to sudden of a change and I will bring her for a second opinion this weekend.

#4 ·
Me too. I have a 19 year old cat as well and she has had her ups and downs. I feel that if you are not ready to give up, don't. Do everything you can until you are at peace with what you have done because you will never be able to forgive yourself if you don't. Definitely get another vet's opinion and listen to your cat. It doesn't sound like your cat wants to give up either and I really think that your cat will tell you when it's time to go.

Good luck, I will be thinking of Cyble and I will hope for the best.

Best wishes to you both,
tanyuh

#5 ·
tanyuh,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. I plan on taking her to the vet in the morning to get a second opinion. She is so weak and dehydrated at this point I'm getting very nervous and she does not want to eat or drink anything.
I'll keep you updated.

#6 ·
I think you will feel better about her illness if you know you have done your best. See what another vet says. Also ask if she is suffering. You can judge her quality of life. I always ask about those two things. I want to know for sure that I have done the best thing for my animals. Sometimes I don't get the answer I'm praying for. I truly hope that she has some comfortable and happy time remaining.

#7 ·
Unfortunately Cyble passed away early this morning at around 3AM. She will be sorely missed by many. She has been with me for 17 out of my 31 years and will be in my heart for all eternity. Cyble was easily the best cat that ever lived. She was one of those cats that even non cat lovers fell in love with because of her sweet temperment which was apparent the moment you met her.
Thank you to all who tried to help.

#12 ·
FHGC,
I'm so sorry to hear about Cyble. I know it is hard but try to think of her when she was healthy and happy and making non-cat-lovers fall in love with her. She lived to be 19! That is an amazing age for a cat to attain and she brought you 17 years of joy. You may find comfort in putting together a photo album of all of the pictures you can find of her. It will be really sad but sometimes you just have to let it all out.

I will be thinking about you! Best wishes,
tanyuh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.