Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a middle aged female cat. She is mostly
feral and a couple years ago be had to take her to the vet because of her constant puking. She was starving.. They think she has a tumor growing but we cant afford to get it removed. They suggested a shot of steroids every month however they said it could stop working.. Well she is back to puking not being able to hold down her food. But she’s acting healthy.. She’s outside hunting all day and night and living happily. She seeks out my attention in the morning and wants to eat. My mother says if the medicine is going to stop working then we have to consider putting her down because she doesn’t want her to suffer. I understand that and don’t want her to suffer. But it’s hard when she is still active and doing what she pleases. I don’t know what to do.. Should i wait until she is worse or gamble that the medicine stopped working and help her pass early?.. i feel so guilty I’m just so confused on what to do..Has anyone gone through something similar and having to make a choice like that?

·
Registered
197 Posts
You probably know your cat better than anyone else, and it's clear that you want what's best for her. Do a little research online and be aware of how to tell when a cat is in pain. (They often hide it.) This might be a situation where you need to trust your instincts. You'll know when it's time to have her put down.

This sort of thing is so hard. Try to enjoy the time you have left with her. It doesn't sound to me as though you have anything to feel guilty about.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
You say your cat is "acting healthy.. She’s outside hunting all day and night and living happily. She seeks out my attention in the morning and wants to eat." Did your vet have her poops checked for intestinal parasites---often happens when cats are eating mice, etc. That could certainly contribute to her looking thin. Sometimes cats as they age get acid reflux, and vomit before or sometimes after meals. It doesn't sound to me that she's dying....more like having a lot of fun hunting outside, and as you say "she is still active". I would have the vet check her stool and see if she has parasites. Many years ago now I had indoor-outdoor cats, and a couple of cats that really liked to hunt and eat their prey, and they needed medication to get rid of parasites at least a few times a year. All the best!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts