Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got an adult Male neutered cat from the Humane society 5 days ago. This is may first cat. He's about 2-3 years. On day 4 (yesterday), he started going to the litter box every few minutes and just urinating a small amount -some with blood. Took him to the vet, the vet gave him a shot and some fluid under his skin to try to get him to squirt out any crystals. Also getting clavamex 2 times a day. Urination got better that day.

Last night I noticed Gizmo's eyes looked strange. wasn't sure why but, they didn't look right. Today he seems to have a cold- sneezing (blowing boogers) seems congested, eyes watering, eyes seems to be unequally dialated at times. He's not eating and drinking as well. I did get him to eat watered down canned food(mostly he drank the watery part). I'm not sure - but his stomach may be slightly bloated. I don't want to be an overly concerned pet owner and run to the vet for every little thing. If he is on an antibiotic already do I need to worry? Thanks for your h elp.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
His urination problems could be a Urinary tract infection. Cats that get this repeatedly needs to be on special food.

His eye problem may be conjuncvitous, or could be even worse.

I'm pretty sure the humane society would check for FeLV or FIV before adopting him out, check his papers to make sure he's been checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aonir-
Thank you for the reply. Yes, He was tested for FeLV and FIV- the papers say Combo neg. He does seem to be doing a little better today. With his eyes running should I take him back to the vet?

The vet did recommend the special diet for him and gave me some food that day. The vet recommended Friskees special diet, chicken. He said to stay away from fish and dyes.

Looking at his adoption papers, there are somethings I'm not sure what they are- Pyran, Pronait, Dornicit, FVRCP, Bord. :? I know I should have asked when I was there. I'm sure I can call and ask. I'm going to see if I can find out what these things are. If anyone knows- please let me know. They were hand written so, I may not have them spelled right.

I found what FVRCP is- could he still be sick with any of these if he had the vaccine?

I really love this guy and hate to see him not feeling well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
First of all I would call the Humane society ask about his state of health and about his vaccinations. Let them explain what you've found in his papers.

Second thing is I would go to the vet again.
The way he behaves is not normal. Please let the vet check him. He must find something. Let's also check if he has fever.

With his eyes, my brother got a cat from the local shelter. This cat was not in a good condition. She had a bad cold with bronchitis and her eyes didn't look good. The vet found out that she has a herpes infection at her eyes. This is not curable but one can relieve the symptoms. Perhaps this might be an idea. Ask the vet for it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I suggest going to a new vet. Friskies isn't exactly the best of foods. If he has a problem, there are other foods made to specifically treat that problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did bring Gizmo back to the Vet. He gave us some eye drops. Neomycin and Polymyxin Sulfates and Dexamethassone. The cat's sneezing is gone and his congestion is just about gone. Giz is acting more like himself. Still a little cranky. I'm wondering if he'll ever forgive me antibiotics and the eye drops.

I read Dr. Jean's information on cat food. It was very helpful. I talked to a lot of my friends that have cats. All but one of them had a male cat that needed special food and had urinary problems. The one friend that didn't have any problems only had female cats.

Thanks for the replies,
Karen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts