Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal, I work at a Pet Hospital, the ones that are inside of some PetSmarts. So at closing one of they're workers comes in and says they found this bird (a baby finch) in the water bowl (they use large ceramic water bowls like you would for large parrots). So I take it and the poor thing is still soaking wet, the water is running down my arm and i'm surprised that it's still alive.

I try to dry it off, we gave it oxygen, but the problem is we had a recent change in doctors and this new one is not experienced with birds much. I have baytril at home, and the clinic has only a few medicains for small animals.

At any rate, my question, how much Baytril should I give to a finch, SID, BID, or TID?

Amazingly I thought by the time I got her home she/he would be dead, instead I open up the box and there she is out of her towel nest sitting up right and stairing at me (something she was unable to do earlier). So HOPEFULLY now she has a chance at making it.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeanie: there are no small animal vets open at this time. Nor will most give any medical advise over the phone at any rate. I will just wait until tomorrow so I can speak with one of my practices doctors.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If it is shock from being soacked wet like that would the bird need baytril?
Id have thought just warmth and rest would be fine, but i may be wrong.
When we have given baytril it was 0.1ml diluted into the birds water. I dont think we have ever given it to birds by mouth, when it was something like a hamster it was 0.02ml 3 times a day.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Baytril is a popular and potent antibiotic used aginst bacterial infections in both dogs and cats to treat a wide variety of infections. It is available both in pill form and as an injectable.
If there is no infection i dont think the bird needs it.

Edit obviously its used for a lot of other animals too.
i read on one forum that someone was treating a respitory infection in a budgie and was giving 0.03ml 3 times a day

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
In most states it's not legal for anyone, including vets, to treat migratory birds (or other wild animals); it must be sent to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator within 24 hours.

Agree, without evidence of infection, you don't want to give a powerful drug like Baytril. Antibiotics can really upset the gut bacterial population so they should not be given unless necessary. The main thing is to stabilize the bird: get it dried off and warmed up, and try to get some fluids and food into it. Be sure to provide some kind of perch, a stick or maybe even just a spoon; it will make the bird feel more secure.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The finch is not wild, it is one of PetSmarts birds, which they sell as pets.
As I said, our current doctor doesn't know much about the avian practice. I had read that 0.1ml had been given for parakeets, the only reason we questioned using it, was if the bird had gotten water in her lungs.
I have her in one of my unused bird cages, covered up, with food and water, it's eating, and sometimes singing a little. Seems to be ok, but it seems to have a bit of a problem with balance, it's head seems to act like one of those bobble head toys. I don't know much but the poor thing just seems a little off.

I'm bringing the bird back to petsmart on Tuesday and it's up to them what they choose to do with it from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts